Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really like my mathews and will be replacing it, I've been looking closely at the bowtech 101st airborne model. Any bowtech shooters out there to give some rewiews?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can imagine speed brings noise. Sound dampening is catching up but a noisy bow is not for me. My Q2XL is very quiet. My son wants a bow, thought I'd give him mine as he shoots it very well and I would get a new one. Just don't know what. wmi you know if all the Bowtech bows have a noisy reputation? The media reviews seem to be good on these bows. I would like to shoot one to evaluate.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
HM, I'm not knocking any of the Bow manufacturers, They are all producing impressive bow's But Right now If I was in the market for a new Bow,
I'd probably go with a Hoyt or I'd at least look long and hard at the Hoyt line.
If you look at how the Hoyt's are performing in the competitions and I don't mean local or state level stuff, I mean World Competitions,
Team Hoyt (Team Hoy in the news) is hammering hard on all the others.
I'm not trying to convince you to get a Hoyt Bow, I just thought you might be interested in looking into them before you make your final decision...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hoyt is a good bow but I personally know a gentleman that shot for Hoyt and has switched to Mathews stating that it was the smoothest and quietest bow he has ever shot. Now keep in mind he does not work for Mathews but liked their bow that much better he made the switch. Ron knows him too. The other thing to keep in mind is service and Mathews and PSE are without question at the top for service. Everyone out there is making a great bow. Honestly you cannot compare tourn. archers to hunters because it is a completely diff. set up so with that said it become personal preference. I wish I could give you a rock solid answer but I can't all I can say is my Drenalin is the sweetest shooting bow I have ever shot and a lot of bows have been in these hands.:coffee:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. Bruce the only first hand experience with Hoyt I have is one of my best hunting buds had to put 4 sets of cables on his ventrix (not sure of spelling) and then Hoyt gave him full refund. That part was very good. I know that is only one bow. I have an open mind and will shoot several bows before I buy. It would be hard to beat my Mathews for smoothe shooting.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
wmi I'm not trying to convince HM to get a hoyt bow and I'm sure many archers have switched from one brand to another brand, I'm sure it happens all the time and there's plenty of stories like the one you shared, like Chuck Adams for example, one of the most respected archers of all times actually switched from a mathews to a Reflex, and Reflex is made by Hoyt.
Manufacturers change their product lines all the time, Always advertising "New and Improved" new design, better quality, more features, better service and guarantee's.
I'm only pointing out that Hoyt is kicking but in world competitions, those wins don't come by chance and if those wins indicate better quality, comfort, accuracy, dependability, etc etc etc then It's got to be worth considering at least looking into, and Yes there's big differences between competition shooters and Hunters but the manufacturers know very well what features and qualities to incorporate from one product line to the other and if they're producing winning competition bows,
I would think a lot of that know-how and technology is transferred right into their hunting Bows as well... I mean, wouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
591 Posts
HM said it right....shoot several different brands and find the one you like. I had a Hoyt, hated it. Never could get it to shoot proper. Switched to a PSE and have no problems. But the guy I sold the Hoyt to loves it and is fine with it. So out of all the quality bows out there, find the one you like and can shoot best, regardless of brand.....

·
Registered
790 Posts
wmi I'm not trying to convince HM to get a hoyt bow and I'm sure many archers have switched from one brand to another brand, I'm sure it happens all the time and there's plenty of stories like the one you shared, like Chuck Adams for example, one of the most respected archers of all times actually switched from a mathews to a Reflex, and Reflex is made by Hoyt.
Manufacturers change their product lines all the time, Always advertising "New and Improved" new design, better quality, more features, better service and guarantee's.
I'm only pointing out that Hoyt is kicking but in world competitions, those wins don't come by chance and if those wins indicate better quality, comfort, accuracy, dependability, etc etc etc then It's got to be worth considering at least looking into, and Yes there's big differences between competition shooters and Hunters but the manufacturers know very well what features and qualities to incorporate from one product line to the other and if they're producing winning competition bows,
I would think a lot of that know-how and technology is transferred right into their hunting Bows as well... I mean, wouldn't you agree?
Please don't take me wrong my back up bow is a Reflex. It is a great bow and has downed many fine bucks. I was not in any way trying to down your opinion. There is so much hype about so many products it makes it very hard to sift through all of the BS in the market today. Truth be told there really is not a bad choice amongst the top line bows. Much of the best information can be obtained in Bowhunter Mag. and their bow tests. When I bought mine I looked very hard at PSE and made my decision to go with the Drenalin because PSE was new technology with the X Force. Well now we can see X Force is here to stay. Ron loves his. Glad I don't have to decide again. Drove everyone crazy around me for 2 months.LOL:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
i have shot every new bow out right now and mathews is the best it is smooth, quiet, and light. Hoyt is a nice bow but to me it was heavy more than i liked anyways but imo you can't go wrong with a mathews

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
yup I agree with you, there really isnt a bad choice with the top line Bows.
I think it pretty much boils down to what each hunter likes in appearance and is most comfortable with,
The real bottom line to all the Bows are, they all have the ability to harvest wildlife if the hunter just
takes the time needed to practice and become comfortable with his shots.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 12 year old PSE thats sounds like a muffled .410 shotgun when it goes off. Quiet it is not. It has served me well but I have decided to hang it up at the end of the year. (PSE-Carrol Intruder)

I am interested in Mathews, Bowtech and Hoyt in that order. I can save some money if I go used. I have always been concerned on the split limb design. Right now I have boiled it down to the Mathews-Switchback, Bowtech-Allegiance or Hoyt-Katera. I am waiting post season to pull the trigger. I am sending a kid through college so I have to minimize my spending. As it stands I am buying a Rem 7600 -.270 next month under covert ops. Once my wife finds out (and she somehow will) she will be mad at me for a few days and get over it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
What is your draw? We have a great bow shop here with many used Mathews. Most are only 1 or 2 years old. A lot of spoiled little rich boys around here that trade them in every year for latest greatest. Better yet for you most don't hunt much.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My draw is 28.5". I pull back 66# but I want to reduce to 60#. Does this bow shop have a website or is it small mom/pop place? That is exactly the type of buy I am looking for. Little use over little time for little money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some new Bowtech are out now. The rest of the 2009 Bowtech & Diamonds will be out in a few weeks. They are looking pretty sweet! I would have a look before you buy! I thought I had my mind made up on a new Bowtech but, I seen the new ones. Now I am back to square 1...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts