Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the reports are saying they are killing them out of Montauk.so i booked a spot on the Viking heading out saturday 3am come back saturday 4pm.Looking forward to some good deep sea wreck fishing:pickle:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Good luck Joel, dont forget to share some pics with us... :w00t:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whew im beat

well i can finally lift my arms back up.what a trip we had a great time on the water.fishing at night watching the sun rise from under the ocean saw a whale wow what an experience.I caught 5 large cod lost a huge one at the boat and a throwback.dropped a few on the way up.we used bait and jigs.let me tell you jigging a 20oz diamond jig is HARD WORK :yes:.the ride back the wind picked up and so did the sea we had a bumpy ride home.i took a bunch of pics and will post them when i get a chance

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
delicious. i had fillets with butter,garlic,salt and pepper tonight im going to make up a huge batch of fish cakes with the scrappy parts you mix the fish with mashed potato ,onion,salt pepper make into patties then dip in egg and bread crumb either fry or bake

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
A 20oz jig? What a work out. Sounds like a great time, what times dinner?

I need to go fishing as good as the venison has been this year I'm ready for a fish fry.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds like you had a great time joel!! And the eating as well.i never had cod?what does it compare to as far as taste?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its a white flakey firm meat like fluke,flounder ,halibut.I made up the mix last night and let it set/firm up overnight .I have enough for 75 cakes

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
taste similar to perch thru the ice

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am from R.I been cod fishing plenty of times. Yes it is work! Lots of fun though. If you ever get the chance give it a try. Caught in several hundred feet of water usually. These are great eating , cook them how ever you want. They are a mild great tasting fish. You can not compare this to any freshwater species. Most fish markets have it may be called scrod(young fish) or cod. Good eatin!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
heres the first of many that day

·
Registered
517 Posts
So thats what a cod looks like?how big do they get?that one looks like a nice one!!i'm going ice fishing this morning.went friday and hammered the slabbers!!(perch)now going to take my son along to try our luck again!!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they can get huge the pool fish was 30lbs that day.good luck on the ice been meaning to go myself the nephews are out next week maybe i'll take them for a few trips

1 - 20 of 25 Posts