Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rule that I will not ever climb down before 10. I have done it in the past and a few times it has bit me in the butt. I 99% of the time are in a tree before daylight, but will sit till 10 at the least. I killed an 8 point last Saturday at 9;30. I f Id have climbed down he wouldnt be in my freezer, and the last 8 point I killed was 2004. Friday I heard a shot very close to me bout scared me to death and it was 10;30. Found out later it was a 6 point, and when I was weighing my deer Saturday at the check station a man pulled up with an 8 that he shot at 10 oclock. By all means sit all day if you can but at least till 10.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Like ya'll are saying comfort is the key to a longer sit. My hang-on stands I start to get weary by 9 or 10. The butt just cant take it anymore. My climber though, man I can sit until the food runs out.

Thats funny you say 10. That is always the bare minimum we sit on our lease. If one of us went home before 10 the jeering would start!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wonder if there is any research that shows big bucks move more at midday. I have heard oldtimers saw hunt the big boys from 10 - 2. I know more aren't harvested at that time because who is in the stands....

I know I see more deer at daylight and dark but rarely a monster

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think there may be some truth to that especially on the full moon, but I gotta eat and if I eat much on stand Ill have to clear my throat afterwards several times, I think its called aspiration but whatever the name I am plagued by the condition. I can eat fruit and nuts and it doesnt occur so thats what I nibble on stand.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shot mine at 12:15. He was small but still had bone on his head. I watched him and two does feed for an hour before he came around and presented a shot. I thought my head was going to explode from my heart pounding during that hour. One time he walked right behind the tree I was in at about 15 yards. I was patient and as luck would have it he gave me a 30 yard shot. This is the first deer I've shot out of my tree stand.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ameristep buckbuster

just bought an ameristep buckbuster 18' from cabelas. has a sling-style seat so should be comfortable. anyone have one of these stands? pros-cons? paid $169 with a $15 off coupon and $50 mail in rebate through ameristep so got one helluva deal, i think:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use an API climbing stand with a sling style seat. Nice and comfy. At my previous job we had deer (bucks & does) visiting throught the day. Our property was set back in the woods. Mid day was very active.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts