Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an oppertunity to purchase a Civil war rifle from (brother-in-law). It's a 1st type James Merrill carbine 54 cal. He's asking $1500.00 for it. Book says $3750.00 in vg, $2750.00 gd, $1500.00 in fair cond. I looked at it today and its all there, three folding sights, swivel ring and belt ring, everything functions perfect, all screws are there and in good shape. One small crack, they only made 15K of these. It's just a lot of money but for a 159 year old rifle that most likely saw action in the war! I need to let him know pretty soon. Anybody out there have any suggestions.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lot of money for a rifle. I would have it looked at by somebody who could authenticate for sure what it is, unless of course he has documentation to prove it already. Other than that i would be unsure, there are many folks who state it is one thing and find out later it is not and lose a lot of money.Good luck and I hope for your sake it is real would be a great piece to own!

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well brother-in-law made an offer tonight, Christmas mood I guess, so he wants my latest win 30-30 classic and some $ for the carbine. I said ok and Monday we'll make the trade. This is the biggest gamble for me on firearms so out on the limb I go. I don't know a thing about Civil War carbines. I think i can turn a decent profit if I decide to sell it?? The jury may be out for a long time on this one.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks spiker, I'll be doing some serious research to know what to do with it. Right now its just a really cool carbine and a piece of American history. On you tube under James Merrill carbine you can watch two guys shoot one of these. Recoil would bring tears to the eyes, nearly twice that of a 30-06 in ft/lbs and they had to fight a war with them. The 30-30 classic I just got about a month ago but sacrifices must be made.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup its a real 1861 Merrill carbine 1st type. Don't know if I would ever fire it but based on the air pressure check I did the plug seal in the chamber is near perfect. the barrel as I said before has really good rifling left too. If there's strong money in these then maybe it will be sold and profits used to get a couple of rifles I enjoy collecting/shooting like the Savages and early Winchesters. Hard to believe every things there and in perfect working order with just battle scars and age showing. I am hoping to get to the $2500.00 range, that would make me very happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.