Deer Hunting Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
HM, I seen him post the same thing on another forum, yesterday. Well yesterday is when I seen it, he actually posted it the same time he did this one. It was odd, now knowing it, I seen the first post asking about a youth rifle and then his second post had the link down below it. Nobody there knew any difference. Glad to see buck fever is on his toes. Nice work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
6.5x55 Swede! Easy on the shoulder and can take just about any large game in the lower 48 with the proper ammunition.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
being a mod is no fun. iv been one on another site. it takes alot more dedication than most think, and it is a thankless job, so thanks.

as for his question im suprized no one mentioned the .223 not alot of kick and one fast round, that can easaly drop a deer.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm not surprised and I agree the .223 is a great caliber but the problem with the .223 is it has too big of a reputation in the military/tactical weapons divisions.
There's absolutley nothing wrong with the .223 Except, As soon as PETA or some other (hunter hate group) lashes onto the fact that a hunter is using a weapon that was designed for military/tactical use they absolutely lose their minds trying to make an issue out of it, so I think you'll find most hunters avoid using or boast about using the .223 caliber for hunting and that's probably why.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
oh ok. when my son gets old enuff to hunt, if someone asks me what cal. he is using i'll just :whistling: to avoid a :boxing: with the ainti hunters.:biggrin:

·
Registered
142 Posts
can you recommend a hunting gun

I would not recommend a .223 for deer hunting I've seen to many animals shot and never recovered with rounds like it the bear min. caliber I would say is a .243, 6mm, .257, you just need more bullet weight and energy than a .223, or .222 can deliver. Leave the smaller calibers for the varmints please I will be happier an so will the deer that don't get recovered.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was toying with taking an AR-15 hunting last season, simply because I was really familiar with my ar and it was an extremely good weapon and of course it will kill a deer, but it gives very very little margin for error, so i decided to go with my other option (7.63x54r) which gave me a ton more margin.
Theres no real argument for the .223 no being able to kill a deer, hell a .22LR is CAPABLE of it, but the chance is so bad about getting the shot right it makes its use unethical. On the .22 LR i mean.

And I always crack up when people refer to my ar-15 as an assault weapon or "built for combat". I have yet to see a semi-only M-16 or M-4 in the Army, but hey i havent been in very long at all, maybe im just weird. lol

G

·
I look at it this way. the sniper uses a what, bolt chambered in 338 lapua or a 7.62. the normal gi uses a m16 type. why? rounds down range. i feel the hunter is a sniper one shot one kill. why not use the tool made for such a purpose. not that you can't kill a deer with the ar's in 223 but why?

·
Registered
142 Posts
That .338 Lapua MAG is a mean round. Massive range on that sucker. Cant wait to get one.

Zero bullet drop at 600 yards = awesome.

G

·
, I don't think ther

, I don't think there's anything wrong with our pucsahre plan. I have several friends who have various DPMS products and none have had any problems besides a tendency toward terrible, gritty and heavy triggers.Looked it up I'm cancer moon, pisces sun, virgo rising .

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i would not suggest a .223 to and adult, or even to a 16 year old, but the example was for a 10 year old. based off of how well my 6 1/2 year old son is doing with the hunters safty rules he will probably be ready to hunt supervised by the age of 10. based off of his size he is going to need the smallest round that can result in a clean kill, wich is a .223. if i think he needs a larger margen of error and can handle my .270 than that is what he will use.

·
Registered
142 Posts
can you recommend a gun

I was 9 when I killed my first deer my dad was sitting in another stand 100 yards over the hill from me, I was using a .303 british, I weighed about 75lbs soaking wet. Recoil was never a problem for me cause I was so excited about being hunting or shooting that I never even noticed a gun kicked till I got older an the excitment fell off don't get me wrong there's nothing as fun as deer hunting still. I started using a .308 the year after that, I would say let your son try a larger caliber an see if he can handle it, a .243 doesn't kick much more than a .223.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
may be what ill do is buy a .223 in the exact same model as my 270. ill use it for varmit. when its time for him to hunt ill have him site in the .223. i will then shot it my self see were it hits, then ill ajust my .270 so it hits the same spot. then on the morning of the hunt ill just give him the .270 to use.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
may be what ill do is buy a .223 in the exact same model as my 270. ill use it for varmit. when its time for him to hunt ill have him site in the .223. i will then shot it my self see were it hits, then ill ajust my .270 so it hits the same spot. then on the morning of the hunt ill just give him the .270 to use.
Your thinking he will be so pumped from the hunt he want notice the kick?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
exactly. my son is verry small. i dont mind him getting the harder kick once if it results in a cleaner kill, but i think he will be meture enuff to shoot/hunt before he is big/strong enuff to handle gettin kicked by a .270 all day at the range.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
ronn, I'm in full agreement with you, the 243 is where I would start too for wives, kids. We've had this discussion before regarding adequate caliber. There will be those who disagree, but I still believe its too small for hunting deer. I'm not saying you can't kill one with a 223, I think ethics does come into play and there are better choises to be used.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Another reason the .223 wasn't mentioned is that in a lot of states minimum caliber is .24. That is in the western states anyway, the reason is exactly as you guys have pointed out, no room for error when shot distances are far greater on average than back east.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I guess my previous post regarding the use of a .223 left too much to wonder about.
I wasn't insinuating it was a good choice for deer and I probably should have noted that,
In the past, I have always said the .243 is the optimal choice for novice/new hunters to use for whitetail deer,
however if a person wants to introduce their child, wife or other friend or relative into the sport of hunting by starting them on a .223
I think that's a fine caliber to start on but I should have said, It's not a preferred choice for Deer.
Also when I think of someone starting out hunting, I dont think of them going right after Deer right out of the gate,
I'd much rather see them practice at the range or focus on some coyotes first...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
BB, here in NW Ohio we would start hunting rabbits and pheasants then ducks and geese and then deer. Now it seems the trend is to get the youngins on deer early. As you said get some range time in and then go for it. My son started going deer hunting with me at age 8, he was allowed to carry at 13-14. This worked for us. He used a rem 260 on a youth browning a-bolt and now uses my 270 rem mountain rifle.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts