Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know why, but it's unsettling to me when i head to my stand in the morning. Maybe it's because i haven't been hunting long. It's enough to make me want to wait till first light, but i'd rather be ready by then.

Wow, i'm a grown man and not much worries me, but it's weird.

Maybe it's because i can't see what the heck i'm doing.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i undrstand were you are coming from. the day after the season opener i had 2 coyote under my stand. and the day before i had heard them talking, and every day sence. any way i felt verry uncomforatable going to my stand an hour before day break. about 3 days later i finaly decided to bring my 44mag out with me loaded with shot shell. the diference in feeling is compleatly chainged from " i hope that noise i just herd wasent a coyote" to " come and get it."

G

·
i use a head lamp that shines red light to get there. don't know where you live but we got bear here as well as coyote. and i walked up to a moose within 20ft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im almost 30 and still to this day my hair on my neck stands up when i enter the dark woods. I dont know why this is cause ive been hunting since i was 9 yrs old, no one is a wimp for being nervous of the dark and dont let anyone get under ur skin for saying you are, take it from me even there is nothing to be scared of somthing about the dark makes a man go hum

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, didn't think others had this problem. I'm not glad that others do, but it's nice to know its not just me.

Is there anyway to get past this? Doesn't sound like it.

It's upsetting that something i am starting to really enjoy is also not fun for me in this situation.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
carry a pistol. you will feel better about it, plus the head thing ronn sugested. you be feeling much better.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
One of our PA group has the same feelings, he doesn't like bears. He heads to his stand last in the morning and is the first out of the woods in the evening. I really don't see where it matters a lot in the long run. Only you can determine what you're comfortable with, just work with-in that comfort range. You might try just leaving 1 minute early each outing and see if you can extend it or not. I haven't experienced that uneasy feeling but my buddy deals wih it every hunting day. Good Hunting to you!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I would have to agree it is a little unsettling going to stand in the dark. However, I have seen many more deer being there before first light than waiting until daybreak.

·
Registered
195 Posts
In Oklahoma is it illegal to carry a firearm during bow season.When I go in the woods in the dark,I try to remember that there is nothing here in the dark that is not here during the daylight.But,I don't have to worry to much about bears,even though we had our first bear season this year.Coyotes don't concern me to much,I think they are more scared of us they we of them.Keep in mind,I am 6-1,270 lbs,41 years old,and yes,sometimes I to, still get scared.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I haven't been hunting for long and never had gotten scared, but one morning I saw a coyote starring at me from about 25 yds away. The funny thing is I have a black lab that I tie up before I go out in the morning and I thought he had gotten loose so I just walked up to the coyote and when I got about 15 yds from him, he took off like greased lightning. Ever since then I have been a lot more cautious in the woods.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
You're not alone many guys have a fear of entering the woods in the dark.

I've never ever heard of anyone being harmed by any animal because they went into the woods in the dark.
Going into the woods while it's dark, I've walked within feet of Black Bears, Moose, Deer, coyotes even bobcat, I think they're all more afraid of us than we are of them. Hope this helps. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Right on Bruce. I use a small flashlight with the red, green, and bright white LED and use the red light just to see what I'm walking on. I do think about some meat eating critter on my way in but I don't think any critter ever attacked its prey while it was lit up LOL. Then again I always say that I'll punch 'em in the face if they attack me. The good thing is that in the morning it only gets lighter as the after noon it fades to dark.

·
Registered
94 Posts
k

it doesnt bother me to much but my area is ALOT diffrent from any of yours im sure, we got timber wolves that weight in around 180 to 200 black and brown bears and coyotes and other then that your pretty much fine with the rest of the animals

·
Registered
790 Posts
Had a fox once do one of those screaming woman sounds about 10 feet from me about 4am that made all of my hair stand on end. Einstein had nothing on me that morning. Took an hour for my skin to stop tingling.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
nothing like a couple of grouse to flair up at your feet in the dark!:crybaby:Maybe a turkey flapping out over your head to start your morning.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This probably all stems from watching too many scary movies when you were young. They had to have had an impact

I generally enter the woods 2 hours before sun up. I dont get as spooked as I used to, but I hunt familiar woods. Carry a standard flashlight and dont worry about color too much. Red light is not visible to animals and is generally used for observation as it maintains the element of darkness to them. It wont help you any because they still can see you as well as hear you coming. Besides if you get out early enough, things will settle back down after you come through. and there is nothing like being in your tree stand 20' off the ground in total darkness and listening to the sounds of the woods. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
One thing to consider is going in too early when its really cold will reduce your stand time. Rifle hunting allows you to move around to warm up some. Archers have to tough it out. I tend to get to my archery stand 1/2 hour before light.

G

·
One thing to consider is going in too early when its really cold will reduce your stand time. Rifle hunting allows you to move around to warm up some. Archers have to tough it out. I tend to get to my archery stand 1/2 hour before light.
thats a good point hm but that would fall under that being prepared thing. you don't hunt from a stand with a rifle? why not? i use to beat feet but find it better to be on stand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts