Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody. hope yall are having a good deer season. im having a problem choosing the right calibered gun. im looking for something that is good for hunting here in east texas (not many far shots in the thick national forest) and good for west texas (long shots). I would appreciate any suggestions. thanks.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I would start at the 25-06 and go up from there and just pick one you can shoot comfortably. you can't go wrong with all the proven calibers previously posted and look at some of the newer short mags.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not knowing what size 13 year old you are, I would say you really need to shop around and see what fits you best without being outgrown before the next hunting season rolls around. I know some 17 and 18 year old that started with a 243 youth model and are still hunting with it now but just want something that fits better. I'm one of those that don't really need a reason to buy a new rifle, but some like to hold the same one year after year. It is all for what you feel is best and knowing the part of Texas you plan to hunt. Some parts of Texas you can see for miles, and people love it but I have 240 acres of Pines and Hardwoods between me and my neighbor and I wouldn't trade that feeling for 10,000 acres of Texas. My .02 cents is always start with a 30-30 or 30.06 and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
the 270 winchester would be my choice if you get it sited in right its perfect for 50-200 yard shots just get a scope and i would get about a 2-9 power i also like the loupold gold rings they work really good i have 2 guns with them on them and there perfect

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
the .270 winchester should be plenty rifle,
the .270 wsm's are pricey last I checked they were like 35 bucks a box of 20.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yea they are a little more but you should price the Ultra Mags OUCH! Thankfully it should only take 1 shot so a box should last a few seasons. Hopefully

R

·
0 Posts
still say anything between 243 and 300 win mag. that way most every round is covered. its more the model of rifle than the cal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol. ok then i will narrow it down. i have a mossberg 243. but its to short but a really flat shooting gun. and i have shot a winchester 243. and killed a spike at 250 yards with it. so im really not sure which is best.

·
Registered
790 Posts
What is wrong with the Winchester? There is not a problem with the 243. But if you just want a new gun that's great too. Let's start with price range. How much can you afford?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts