Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I'm kinda new here and I've been lookin to buy a good hunting bow. I've been going around to my local hunting stores checking out what they have to offer, and have a pretty good idea of what I want from it. so if you have any ideas, feel free to send 'em my way.

R

·
0 Posts
they all make pretty good stuff and a wide level of bow. I shoot a PSE Xforce and a PSE Vengence. The Venegace is smooth, the Xforce is FAST with a capital fast. My hunting arrow is running a true 326 ft per second over the crono. 2 things, check out all of them, and get the one that feels good to you. Oh and one other thing you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
There are lots to choose from, pick one that fits you well, in your price range. I shoot a 5 year old Mathews and hope to get a new one next spring.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
another thing ya can do is go to the proshop to make sure you get the right size.i know my shop has lots of good bows that are 1/2 price,they may be older models .guys buy a new bow and trade in the old bow towards the new one.i seen loaded mathews,hoyt ,etc for 300- 400.It pays to look around.I really hope your not buying that bow now and plan on hunting this fall with it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As mentioned above go to a pro shop and get fitted into the proper bow. (draw length, poundage, axle length,solid limb or split limb, single cam or double cam,etc) The pro shops will work with you to ensure you can effectively shoot what you buy. This is key. Do not go to Wally World or wherever and just buy off the shelf. Tell them how much you have for a budget upfront. The costs can quickly add up for quivers, sites, rests and arrows. Some bows are all set up so the price may be negotiable but you may not be satisfied with one of the components. Once your bow is set up for you then comes arrow selection. Good luck.

I have shot the same PSE Carroll Intruder for12 years. I will most likely upgrade within a year or 2. I like Bowtech and Hoyt myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What type of bow

I shoot a PSE x-force dream season and 2 weeks ago i robin hooded and arrow at 40 yards. THis was my first true robin hood where the arrow actually went into the other arrrow(partialyy). This only happened because my bow was the right draw length and the right draw weight. It is very important for you to get have someone that knows what they are doing help you with the bow or you will NEVER be happy with it.

Shop around, you do not have to buy a 1,200 set up to be happy. Goodluck

PS MOST COMPANIES HAVE ALREADY CAUGHT MATHEWS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
hunting bow

I shoot one of the new MATHEWS Drenalin. it works just fine for me it shoots 320fps and only weighs about 3.8 pounds and shoots smooth and quiet.... i have also shot the new DXT i like it but i like my drenalin more...
the thang is you just have to find a bow in you price range that you like... if you like how it shoots and fells your probably good...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hey another well informed Mathews bow hunter! I'm sure we all agree, don't we...., if it's not a Mathews it's just another bow. :biggrin::whistling::surprised::boxing:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hey another well informed Mathews bow hunter! I'm sure we all agree, don't we...., if it's not a Mathews it's just another bow. :biggrin::whistling::surprised::boxing:

The only choice in bows is a Mathews. Mine is so old I don't remember when I bought it but still shoots as good as the day I bought.

Good advice about a pro shop. They can a competant tech can save you a lot of heartache.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I heard Mathews service is terrible compared to others. I do not speak from experience. Just passing on some pro shop gossip talk...may be possible smack talk from PSE,Hoyt and Bowtech lovers.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
browning has the worst service dept i ever dealt with.never had a problem with my mathews so i cant say anything about them

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
never heard of a mathews needing service, if on that extreamly rare almost impossible event to have happen, which would cause me to simply shutter, I would bet money that Mathews would provide excellent service. The small pro shop that I use has been great to work with. You know that statement to be true "if it isn't a Mathews its just another bow".:yes::yes::yes::yes: You see we all agree!

R

·
0 Posts
I have a buddy that his mathews drenlin blew up on about the second arrow through it. He said it smarted some. They gave him a new one and he loves it. I've been in a mathews shop and they were talking smack about all the other bows. I didn't like that much. Thats one of the reasons I ended up with a better bow, arguable, and much better service, fact. Haven't needed anything fixed but I have done some dressing up the bow. I shoot a PSE vengeance and a PSE Xforce. The vengeance is the smoothest quietest bow I picked up including the mathews. It flies my hunting arrow at 284 ft per sec. The Xforce is different in feel but the same arrow is running at 326 ft per sec. These are real speeds, real arrow, over a chronograph. Mathews just has the best marketing department out there with their giving bows away to all the tv guys. they are making up that give away stuff somewhere. hummmmm? who could be paying for that? seriously they all make good stuff and they all make junk and it comes down to what you like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have never had any problems with any of the MATHEWS bows that i have owned. the service has always been good for any toon ups and stuff ( like draw lenth and weight on my old FX2 ) that i needed.. it is true that there is a lot of smack talk in the bow making industery. like bowtech, hoyt and pse.. they all perform great it just depends of what you like...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
All kidding aside, any of the top bow makers put out great equipment. Just pick the one in your price range and shoot it to make sure it fits like a glove with very little to no hand vibration/noise. Be concerned with the grip, too small, too fat, wood, plastic ect.

R

·
0 Posts
1000 photos to dowlo

1000 photos to dowlonad? Oy. I know how that goes.I love my digital camera but sometimes I miss the "old" days when we had to develop film. Now I find myself dragging my feet about printing pix. All too often I find myself with a ridiculous number of pictures to deal with.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I thought HOYT was the only one making good bows, you mean there's others trying to compete with HOYT. :biggrin:
Get Serious. Get Hoyt !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts