Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between Bushnell Legend 3x9x40 or Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. They both cost $135-150. I already have a 2x7x32 Legend and am pleased. Feedback is welcome.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Just my opinion: of the two Nikon. I think there may be better choises for just a bit more money. Leupold rifleman 3X9X40 for199.99. Plenty of great used scopes on the internet for good prices. I have Redfield and Leupold on my rifles, these are and, in the case of Redfield were, hard to beat for quality. My next scope will be 4X12X50, not sure of brand. Good luck on your new scope.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Over the years, I've had Leupolds, Redfields, Bushnells and Burris. They all deliver what you pay for. I don't think any of them are bad. As for optics quality, the Leupolds are the best of that group. I currently have Leupolds on all my rifles. Not only are they the clearest, but they offer the longest eye relief - that is really important if you have a rifle that has a lot of recoil. I just took a Burris 3x9x40 Fullfied Ballistic Plex off a rifle and replaced it with a Leupold. The Burris is good, but I wanted all my rifles to looks the same through their scopes. That Burris is two years old and in excellent shape - it also has a lifetime warranty, even if you are not the original owner. I'd like to sell it, any ineterest?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i have bushnell scopes and nikon binnoc.try a place called opticsplanet.com .I have used them and they are top notch with great prices

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have comparison shopped between Optics Planet, SWFA and Wings Supply. I am going with the Bushnell from Optics Planet as they are the most competitive. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Happy to help.:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
in my opinion i have a Bushnell rangefinder and i love it...ive never owned a nikon so i cant compare it to a nikon but i can tell you that it was worth all the money

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rifle Scopes

In the last year and a half I have put at Nixon on my 270 Win, a Bushnell on my 7mm-08 and a Leupold on my 257 Roberts. All 3 are good scopes. Paid about $140 for the Bushnell and Nixon, and $199 for the Leupold. If you have the $$$$ spend the little extra and get the Leupold.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I've never been too fussy about scopes, they all seem to do the job well so I never saw a need to over spend on a scope,
I'd probably feel differently If I lived in a state like Montana... :w00t:

R

·
0 Posts
i'm with bruce on this one. if you can only see 100 yards you don't need to spend the $$ on a hubble.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Today is the day to debate. I will opt for the more expensive scope everytime. The better the glass the more you see, its that simple. A $200 scope will not be as good as a 400 which will not be as good as a 800. What you can afford is what works for you. To say $150 scope is as good as a $400 scope is hogwash. In scopes you do get what you pay for. If you do it right many times the scope costs more than the rifle its installed on. That's the view from here. HM

R

·
0 Posts
thats correct HM. but if the farthest you can see is 100 yards would you need to put a $ 2000 Zeiss on a rifle? the rule of thumb is spend the most you can afford. i say that rule of you get what you pay for is true of most things. yeah i know there is a lot of room for argument.

R

·
0 Posts
I have no idea why t

I have no idea why this man is being charged with senocd degree murder. It should be first degree murder. Before his roommate got home, he told his other roommate that he was going to kill that man if he came home drunk again. He already had his rifle out. There was a history of violence between them. He was looking for an excuse to kill the roommate.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree with the logic of not spending more money on a scope if all you will use it for is to hunt 100 yards or less. I need optics now that my eyes have degraded. The only areas in the past that I have hunted that I can see extended ranges is powerlines. I never see deer in these areas so I don't hunt them anymore. I have 4-5 firearms all mounted with $120-150 scopes and I am satisfied. If I was hunting out Weat at extended ranges I would have a different take.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I guess my logic is I can take my rifles anywhere to hunt with as they are set up and ready to go where I want. I don't set up my rifles for a spefic area/distance. I don't have $1000 scopes on them. Everyone has a budget to work in when putting a rig together. I can sorta understand the comments on using a lower end scope for 100 yd shots but then when someons says lets go out west or that 300 yd shot does come, can you take it? Can you make it?:crazy: The scope will be the difference!

·
Registered
28 Posts
the newer nikons are made in the phillipines(not japan like they use to) and are over rated. the bushell are much better. i used to own a trophy(sold the gun), and currently own a banner dawn and dusk(or whatever its called). i liked these much better than nikon scopes and they are much cheaper. never looked back.

in my opinion, bushnell banner or trophy scopes are the best deal out their. obviously their are nicer scopes, but are they worth the $400 price tag? never had a bushnell let me down yet.

what ends up happening is companies build up a name, like tasco for example. used to be made in japan, then as they became more heard of, they jumped to china, then korea, now.... who really knows where they are made! the quality goes to heck when the opt for cheaper labor, mean while you are under the asumption they make a quality product.

bushnell is in the process of rebuilding that reputaion right now, get them while they last because in a couple years when the plant moves to God knows where, they will be crap once again.

its all about global economics and third world labor these days!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess my logic is I can take my rifles anywhere to hunt with as they are set up and ready to go where I want. I don't set up my rifles for a spefic area/distance. I don't have $1000 scopes on them. Everyone has a budget to work in when putting a rig together. I can sorta understand the comments on using a lower end scope for 100 yd shots but then when someons says lets go out west or that 300 yd shot does come, can you take it? Can you make it?:crazy: The scope will be the difference!

if all your going to take is a hundred yd shot, why would anyone need a scope. a cheap 4x scope is more than adequate to shoot the maximun point blank range any sporting rifle on the market today. and no one is justified taking shots longer than their mpbr!

i have tried and pretended that i can tell the difference between a tasco and a zwiess but the gig is up. i can hardly tell a difference! sorry i just can't tell the difference in quality. will never buy an expensive scope again. fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

what your paying for is the name, the marketing campaign, and the warenty. if thats what you want to spend your hard earned dollars on go right ahead. not me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts