Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen the new Burris "Eliminator" scope yet? Just introduced at last month's SHOT Show. It's a scope with a built in ranger-finder. Put crosshairs on animal; press switch on forearm; distance appears in the scope and, at the same time, a white dot appears on the vertical crosshair which shows where the bullet will hit; place the white dot on the target and shoot. Around $850. Check it out on the Burris website and tell me what you think.

·
Registered
602 Posts
jmo, i try to stay away from alot of the fancy stuff, when gun hunting. i want my harvest to be based on my skill with my rifle. but that is just me. don't have any scopes with the BDC reticle, and don't use my range finder during gun season. i don't knock anyone for trying the latest and greatest equipt. i just prefer not too. seems like more stuff to go wrong. more batteries to carry with you and such.

G

·
jmo, i try to stay away from alot of the fancy stuff, when gun hunting. i want my harvest to be based on my skill with my rifle. but that is just me. don't have any scopes with the BDC reticle, and don't use my range finder during gun season. i don't knock anyone for trying the latest and greatest equipt. i just prefer not too. seems like more stuff to go wrong. more batteries to carry with you and such.
question for you, where's the line? why not just go with iron sights. i don't see any real distingtion if you are using a scoped rifle. i guess we all draw it for ourselves and thats fine. not knocking it, just don't see it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
question for you, where's the line? why not just go with iron sights. i don't see any real distingtion if you are using a scoped rifle. i guess we all draw it for ourselves and thats fine. not knocking it, just don't see it.
I'm not endorsing it, per se. But it seems this has sparked a bigger issue relative to what each of us considers to be ethical. So, let me play devil's advocate for a minute by answering your question.
How about I "draw the line" at doing everything possible to avoid a cripple or wounded deer that might not be recovered. After all, the rifle doesn't shoot by itself - the hunter still has to find the game and aim accurately, good rest, squeeze the trigger and all that stuff. This is just another tool. How many guys still use open sights, or, for that matter flint-tipped arrows?
Now here's an idea that I had for a scope many years ago. At that time, it was purely a pie-in-the-sky fantasy, sci-fi really, but now I'm quite sure it's doable. How about a scope that was integrated with the trigger mechanism on your rifle. With an advanced computer on board that holds electronic digitized "templates" of your game animal at every possible angle. If the crosshairs are placed on a kill zone and the computer recognizes a good aim, you pull the trigger and the rifle fires. If you don't place the crosshairs on a kill zone, the gun won't fire. It has to be re-aimed, the trigger released and pulled again. This would be not only be the ultimate safety, but would result in zero wounded or lost game. This, too, would not shoot by itself and would still require all the same hunting and shooting skills that hunters have always needed - just minus the potential for "inhumane" kills or taking bad shots in the excitement of the moment. Well...?

G

·
I discovered your bl

I discovered your blog site on ggoloe and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

·
Registered
602 Posts
i see your point. never really thought about it like that. have always hunted with a scoped rifle. and i do sight in high at 100 yds. have hunted with iron sight 30-30 s until the leverevolutions come out. decided to scope it then.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of this has to do with our individual points of view based on the conditions and terrain where we do our hunting. Out here, a 300 yard shot is not unusual, and when you start bumping 400 and beyond, a scope that automatically compensated for the distance could come in real handy. I've passed on shots that I thought were too long or not just right for one reason or another, but I have also missed, and, although I hate to re-live this in my mind, even wounded game on long shots that I thought were rock solid and well within my ability based on lots of practice at the range. (Luckily, I have always been able to finish the job on these, but it wasn't pretty.) So, a scope that might prevent something like this has some appeal. On the down side, they are usually a little on the heavy side, (this one weighs 26 oz. with mounts) not to mention expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hey sounds great . but i see electronics in the field especially a scope something more to breakdown especially in the winter and if i had it it would happen at a crucial moment with my luck lol. im not condemning technology at all we all love our gadgets . But.. i would and do prefer a hand held range finder with the combo of my burris full field 2 ballistic plex scope which is like a xbow scope except each notch is a 100 yrds pending on calibur its a great scope for a reasonable price leupold has 1 for twice as much money for the same performance. but i ve said it once ill say it 10 000 more times its up to you and what you your self if you like by all means get it its what makes you happy thats my moto ... cheers all

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey, I found an Eliminator for $766 on-line, but I don't think I'll be getting one because I also found out that it's working temperature range only goes down to 14F. Hell, it doesn't get much warmer than that here during the summer!:no:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hey, I found an Eliminator for $766 on-line, but I don't think I'll be getting one because I also found out that it's working temperature range only goes down to 14F. Hell, it doesn't get much warmer than that here during the summer!:no:
One of my old Army buddies from Ft Lewis, WA took me home over Thanksgiving weekend many, many years ago. Brought along my Ruger Blackhawk .357 and we went out a ways from town (Dillon, MT) to put some holes in some paper plates. We were dressed in jeans, flannel shirts and winter jackets and thought little about the actual temperature. Snow was about thigh deep where we put the plates in the bank and there was little behind the plates for miles but the snow.

Wasn't until we got back to his house and looking at the thermometer that hung on the back porch did I realize that it was somewhere around -10 while we'd been out "playing in the snow". Nice dry cold and hardly felt it. But I was also a whole lot younger back then, too! :crazy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.