Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think about burning a stand out? This is something I am working on more the last couple years. I think its helped me see more deer to switch up stands and let them rest even though I'm seeing deer there for fear of spooking those crafty old buggers or wrecking the spot for the rest of the season.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I have the same scenario. In thought I say to myself "no, not today" but I'll keep going to the same site and probably do wreck it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think you can hunt the same woods. just switch it up by sitting a stand several hundred yards away. i like sitting pinch points, favorite breaks in stone walls, favorite creek crossings, bottle necks in thicker cover extending into feeding areas, all of which can be used by the same deer. so i'm hunting the same deer just jumping around to different areas.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
yes you can.i believe the best chance of killing a deer is the first time you hunt that stand,then it drops down each time you hunt it.also if you walk into an area the same way everytime you will put the deer on notice.i try to have 2 different approaches to my stand.i use a climber and will move around the area.i also will hunt different towns to mix things up

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think you can over hunt a stand but I believe it depends on the circumstances. I have hunted the same stand 4 times in the last ten days and shot two deer from it and I still saw 12 deer from it yesterday morning. If anything I have been seeing more deer.

I think it has more to do with getting busted by deer in your stand or leaving scent behind walking in and out. I have had to wait for deer to clear the area so I could get out of the stand so i didn't spook them.

The last doe I killed was with three other deer; a doe, a doe fawn and a four point. After I shot the doe the rest of them just bounced about 20 yards and stood there, I thought I was going to get the other doe. She didn't spook until she got over to where the doe I shot had piled up.

Bottom line for me is I'll hunt it as long as the deer are coming in the I'll move to where the deer are. They may have quit coming around because a food source has dried up instead of the hunting presure, if that's the case I have to find what they are eating today.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't hunt the same stand inside of 4-5 days with only one exception. If it pours buckets after I use the stand then my scent is washed out and I may hunt inside 4 days. I may be missing out on opportunities but I am afraid that I will burn the stand out with over frequent use. Your more apt to get winded the more you use it. My 2 pennies.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think I am odd man out here again, but if I find a spot that a buck I want to shoot frequents I will be there every chance the wind gives me. If it is set up for a south wind and we have a week of south wind I would have no problem hunting that spot every day. As long as your setup is correct there shouldn't be a problem. That is assuming that the deer movement is predictable and deer can pass without detecting your presence before or after passing your stand. I put a lot of effort into making good sets that deer don't have much chance of finding (or smelling), and don't have a problem hunting them often...when the wind is right for it.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
as long as you change up your exit and entry they wont pattern you but if you dont plan on counting trees all day

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
sorry,wasn't totally directed at you flexj.the comment was directed at the original question of "can you burn out a stand?",i also agree that you can hunt multiple days at the same stand ......as long as you/we /us change our entry and exits to the stand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
your best chance is the first couple times you visit , after that the whole area will be crawling with your human scent and the deer will know youve been there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts