Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, kind of stealing this from Wisconsindeer since he's the one who directed me to what i needed but heres the pictures of my finished mosin, all around $240.

Rifle - $99
Scope - $89
Mount $30
Gunsmithing $10

all i did was have someone take the iron sight off of my rifle for me, but an offset 22 rifle scope mount, and a long eye relief scope.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well we'll see if i can inform you, depends if the filter bans store names or not. the gun itself i got from fleet farm, although they have them plenty of places. I would avoid hunters stores like cabelas. they take a common rifle like that that retails for $99 and charge $150. thats 50% markup.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
silver bear is what i've used. currently debating if i want silver bear or wolf gold for hunting as i need to order some more. Silver bear is cheaper. I have to order online since no stores carry 7.62x54r in hunting other than Brown Bear and i hate lacquer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just ordered 4 boxes of silver bear and then 6 boxes total (3 FMJ, 3 JHP) of 9x18 makarov for my p64. figured if im stuck ordering online i might as well order enough to not have to deal with it for a while. got it for around $10 a box. $20 shipping on the whole order.

·
Registered
824 Posts
HS,

Cool looking rig you got there. Do you have a year, manufacturer for yours?
Think mama paid $130 for mine - including an 18" pig sticker (bayonet).

Have a '36 Tula, but without the scope. With the 'limited' range (100 yrds) I have on my property, don't really need the scope. Get my ammo from a gentleman in town - copper tipped 180 grain. 2 rounds - 2 deer in the freezer. Last one left a hole I could have put my fist into. Kinda sorta hurried the shot, putting it right into the right front shoulder. The exit wound wasn't pretty and there wasn't much left of the shoulder roast, not that side anyway. Pic of the buck (and rifle) is somewhere in the photo section.

RR

·
Registered
824 Posts
Fmj?

If I'm not mistaken, using FMJ bullets for deer hunting is illegal in Texas, right?
Copper tipped is not quite the same as FMJ. Yup, you're absolutely correct that FMJ is illegal. I wouldn't be using the ammo if I thought I'd end up in jail for using it.

But for now, I have plenty of other "toys" to be playing with.

Do know one thing for certain though, if it's down to the last weekend of the season and the freezer is still empty -- the Mosin is coming out 'cause I know for certain that it will put something in it.:crazy:

RR

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he might be referring to a hollow point, which would fully explain the hole the size of his fist. FMJ is illegal to hunt with because it does not expand, its designed to pentrate. The military uses FMJ rather than soft point because if you wound a guy you take 3 guys off the field, the dead one and the 2 guys to carry him. Soft point just kills a guy.

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
The military uses FMJ rather than soft point because if you wound a guy you take 3 guys off the field, the dead one and the 2 guys to carry him. Soft point just kills a guy.
HUH? Does that mean the one killed by a soft point walks off the field alone? :wacko:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it means the guy is dead and irrelevant until the battle is over. you cant save a dead guy, but you can save a wounded soldier. thats why fmj is designed to wound not kill.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I've posted before that I never served in the military, but we shoot 30 cal fmj into someone and it's not designed to kill them? I understand the extra medics involved for wounded thing but survival after being hit with any bullet in a vital area is probably not very high. Not quite sure I understand the the thoughts here completely.

·
Registered
820 Posts
he might be referring to a hollow point, which would fully explain the hole the size of his fist. FMJ is illegal to hunt with because it does not expand, its designed to pentrate. The military uses FMJ rather than soft point because if you wound a guy you take 3 guys off the field, the dead one and the 2 guys to carry him. Soft point just kills a guy.
The Geneva Convention specifies that only FMJ be used in war, which is why we and other NATO countries use it. FMJ bullets are also cheaper to produce. Although, the 5.45x39 7N6 FMJ bullet is extremely devastating, probably more so than a hollow point or soft point.

·
Registered
824 Posts
FMJ has a solid copper shell outside with a lead core. It's designed (like everyone else has mentioned) to go straight thru with minimal mushrooming.

The copper tipped bullet folds inward upon impact, causing the lead core behind to mushroom exponentially around it. Putting the round into the shoulder caused the round to nearly fully mushroom. I don't know if anyone has seen a 180 grain bullet that has been fully mushroomed - it's about 2 - 2 1/2 inches across plus 7.62x54 has lots of power behind it.

I can't begin to imagine the impact a round like that has on a human body. . . . . . . and sure hope I never have to.

RR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.