Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
i know this subject has been brought up before but i'll bring it up again.

I think the term brush gun is misunderstood, maybe by me but i have my own way of looking at it.

To me a brush gun is a quick handeling rifle and thats it. period. it doesn't mater the calibar. all bullets will deflect or get eatten up by the brush/limbs. its more where in the distance to the animal the obstruction is met. a foot from the target the bullet will hit the target. a foot from the muzzle and its doubtful. I've seen maxi-hunters from a ml gobbled up by brush and they don't get much heavier than that.

the idea that bullets will punch through brush, accurately, is wrong. not to mention is a questionable shot to begin with.

When i hear the term brush gun the second thing that comes to mind is a shotgun loaded with buckshot, the first being that quick handeling thing. just my opinion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Totally agree. No bullet is good in thick brush. If i had to pick one it would be the short quick handeling cva wolf or optima.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I missed a doe this morning from only about 20 yds away. When I shot she ran back into the woods. I looked for a blood trail for ever and walked all over the woods and nothing.
I was shooting through a tree limb and not a very thick one at that. That is all I can figure as to why I missed. She was right there and looked huge through my scope so I guess I hit a limb or something.

·
Registered
820 Posts
A few years back I was hunting with my Rem. 870 in 20 gauge. I was using a slow moving (1400 fps) winchester sabot slug. A doe walked in and stopped at 35 yards right behind a bush that had lost all of its leaves. I took the shot and the deer ran. Didn't find a drop of blood. Bullets are deflected by brush very easily, big or small.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
my dad once shot a small buck with a 220 gr 3006. the bullet went through the 2" tree that was only inches from the deer. darn near took the head clean off. had the tree been only inches from the muzzle that deer might still be running, if they lived to be 30 years old. I think this term brush gun has lead to a lot of missed, wound and lost deer. i wish the term had never been vocalized. maybe hunters would take better shots, better than trying to bust through the brush.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Down here in TN the term brush gun always referred to the lever action 30/30. Its a smaller gun that can easily take care of a deer in the woods where most shots are under 80 yds.

I have a lever action 30/30 but still choose to use my 30-06 when brush hunting due only to the fact that I like the extra knock down power.

I like this line from ronn's post. No one could have said it better.

"the idea that bullets will punch through brush, accurately, is wrong. not to mention is a questionable shot to begin with"

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
The .30-30 is probably the Rifle they're referring to when they use the term "Brush Gun".
I recall Years ago there was a study done to determine which caliber would penetrate into the thickest brush the best.
The .30-30 won by a long shot, They only tested 4 or 5 of the most popular calibers but I think that's probably why the .30-30 is always labeled as the "brush Gun".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts