Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I was right I won't see the the Browning X-Bolt till 4th of July weekend. I know it will Browning quality but sight unseen purchase has me nervous as to the walnut stock quality. This is the first purchase of a firearm where I didn't get to view it at purchase time. We'll see if my worries are justified or not in a few weeks. :confused:

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey HM,
Just take comfort you can get such a nice rifle! Sounds like a good one. I've seen very few Brownings I haven't liked. It might be nice to see a pic or two?
Good luck,
daddus

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I know the Browning quality will be there, :confused: I like really nice standout wood grain, curl, ect. You don't find much of either one anymore in standard production guns as the good walnut sends the price into orbit. I really don't care for light colored stains especially the newer maple ones that Remington has put on some of the rifles. I've read where a lot of current walnut used in production comes from Turkey. If you ever want to see outstanding walnut gunstock wood just type in gun stock wood for sale or something close to that. 400.00 to 4000.00 gets you a piece of wood to send to your stock maker/gun smith. If I had a rifle that needed a new stock and I had money to burn (no I don't) and it was a real favorite gun, it would be pretty cool to pick out your own blank and have it turned into a custom one of a kind gun.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm a huge fan of nice wood myself. This is the nicest piece of walnut on any of my rifles, on a custom M98 in .257 Roberts. I have three other guns, one rifle and two shotguns with some nice looking Circassiun walnut too. I'd really like to get a custom with some fine French walnut some day, but not so sure that's ever gonna happen....:whistling:

Sigh.......

Attachments

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
really nice stock wood! Those are the ones you pass out on if you find a scratch on it. :crybaby: Very nice!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Beautiful wood and scratches after Idaho Elk Hunting

I saw one of the guys I hunted with about 25years ago really beat up a new Weatherby Mark V elk hunting. At the time Weatherby didn't use an oil finsh more like some type of polymer. It looked like the finish was going to have to be removed from the entire stock then refinished again to fix it.
After seeing that rifle on my second hunt there I used a Win 70 Fwt with a laminated stock. It isn't as pretty as quality walnut but it is stronger and alot easier to fix. I prefer laminated wood to fiberglass stocks any day.

Karl

·
Registered
602 Posts
ALL my rifles are hunters. I will not, however, take them all out in rain or snow. I've sold a good number of rifles that seemed to hide when it was time to perform in the field. One was an A-Bolt Custom Trophy in '06. Simply gorgeous, but it never made it to the woods...lol.

My BLR in .325 will be shot next week in preparation of a bear hunt in Idaho on the 20th. :boxing:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Good luck with getting a bear in Idaho...

Just remember if you hurt it, you better kill it. They have a serious problem with someone shooting them. I was always scared of running into a Grizzley either going out in the dark in the morning or coming back to camp in the dark. The standard joke was the horse is going to throw off you so it can run away faster.....

Karl

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, I might just jump off my horse and shoot it, figuring that larger hunk of meat might bring greater interest to the bear...lol. I'm figuring on 200gr Partitions in the BLR/.325, but will also check a couple 200gr TSX loads if the Partitions don't shoot well. I'm sure either one will do a good job, if I do as well with my shooting. :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts