Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been slinging the short G series muzzy's for a few years now and have no issues at all but as much as I don't care much for mechanical broads I'm realy thinking about these swhacker broads, I realy like that target tip flight with the smaller starter blades, I'm on the fence as about the two blade though. Any of you guys shoot or shot these's ? I need some yea's or na's to knock me off the fence to see what side I fall on I guess lol

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My buddy shot them and i wasnt impressed.If your goin to shoot mechanicals i like the grim reapers or spitfires.Better yet if them muzzy's fly true stay with them or look at slick tricks a fantastic broadhead.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
nope I have heard people say the same as spiker not impressed
I have been shooting the rage 2 blade for 2 years now & shot 3 deer no issues 2 went less then 50 yards & one went about 75 yards (shot low & little back)
I have heard complaints about the 3 blade ones
HM is one of them

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two for two on Na's, I might just keep my mechanical idea just that "a passing idea" I've been shooting fixed blade broads for a long time. I tried mechanicals a time or two in the past but it's been atleast 3 or 4 years since I've tried any, guess I was getting cought up in commercial hipe. They sure make um sound sweet that's for sure but I think I might just stick with my tried n true muzzy's, thanks fellas

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Fly
I have found that out the hard way myself. I do love the rage 2 blades have not lost a deer yet with them. I have tried other stuff because of the hype & thought this sounds better then what I have & that is all it was just sounded better have wasted a lot of money on crap that companies made to sound like you have to have it (not just hunting stuff)
if what you have works NO NEED TO CHANGE

·
Registered
295 Posts
When I had to start shooting a crossbow, I went to mechanicals. I shoot Spitfires and have not lost a deer or had to trail over unreasonable distance. It has been five years now I have had two complete misses and killed one tree. All the other shots went where I wanted tham. Ranges were from 10-32 yards. The tree was 22-yards but standing dead still.I am not 100% positive I killed the tree with a Spitfire. Either way, it did not go any distance at all. All the others either fell within sight or were easy to trail. All four this year fell within 35-yards.

I am also sure there are several out there that work just as well. Note that it completely split the tree.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My boy and I both use rage and cant complain. My boy is 14 and uses a diamond razor edge with his poundage at about 50 and the last deer he shot went 30 yards. put a big ol hole in her. We have not lost a deer yet. still using them. I have thought about the swackers. I seen a test where they shot several different expandables through a 55 gallon drum and quartering shot into a piece of plywood, swackers were very impressive.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that was the reason I was realy likening most about the swhackers was that they were so small folded up but use the small blades for the impact to open the big main blades after the first pass through, I was thinking that alone would save on loss of arrow momentum. I've never realy had any problems with pass through any ways shooting 65 n 70 lbs, but I've also had cheap stuff before that I've had issues with opening in flight. That's why I desided to go back to fixed and have been there for some time.
I was just kicking the idea of smaller and I don't think I can get any smaller than I got with fix blades leingth wise, and width I have to stay above the KY minumum width.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Rage 2 Blade all the way my friend has 5 deer under his belt with these you could stick 4 fingers in the hole. I have 1 Ram 2 Pigs and 1 Deer with these amazing holes and massive blood trails with these broad-heads. I use to use G5's but these are much better. I was against the mechanical heads for years but these are much different. here is a link to my ram pic post with the hole it left it is the entrance hole. http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/bow-hunting/8910-texas-doll-ram-hunt.html

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Rage 2 Blade all the way my friend has 5 deer under his belt with these you could stick 4 fingers in the hole. I have 1 Ram 2 Pigs and 1 Deer with these amazing holes and massive blood trails with these broad-heads. I use to use G5's but these are much better. I was against the mechanical heads for years but these are much different.
If you're trying to hunt for meat, dont the rage destoy a lot?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you're trying to hunt for meat, dont the rage destoy a lot?
Nope not at all they are no worse than any other broad head and just slightly worse than a bullet. The only thing they destroy is a hair of rib meat. I know neither of us have ever had a problem. Also they definitely make finding your game much easier I know a few bow hunters who have lost their game using other broad heads. Massive blood trail to follow.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I know it's where you hit them that counts, I just have seen first hand that the Rage 3 blade is suspect and I won't be using it anymore. Don't know anything about the two blade Rage.

·
Registered
986 Posts
stick with what works.muzzy 3 blade all the way. The fixed blade vs mechanical BH is the same as revolver vs semi auto for carry.IMO its simple,the revolver has less a chance of something going wrong when you need it. Same for a BH

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I said on here two years ago i double lunged an 8Pt with rage two blade and i can post a pic.Damage was severe but blades were destroyed and i know if i shot that deer with a spitfire or reaper after sharpening it would have went right back in quiver.I dont think their built well.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it's best I just stick with my fixed blades, had a buddy of mine give me a 3 blade rage to try out, but honestly I don't like it and will never put it on a arrow an just give it back to him next time I see him.
My fixed are fine and I REALY don't want to fool with rubber bands, and worring about if it's going to open or not. In flight or on the game.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In the last two months, I have seen a lot of posts re people switching from Rage to something else. I know nothing about them, never shot them, never had any reason to shoot them. All I know is they sure are expensive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts