Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really having problems trying to decide what to do. I need new cables and string and install a drop away rest and new sight on my 2003 Mathews Q2XL. About $250.00 upgrades. The bow fits me perfect and the cost of additions will be less than a new decent bow. The market value is around $350.00 for the Mathews. My problem is it seems like the new bows even mid-price ones shoot near the 315-320 fps range and are quiet and easy drawing. Just last night my son with his Bass Pro Toxik shot a 1" group at 50 yds! He shoots 70 lbs at 29" draw and this bow smokes a carbon arrow. I cannot shoot as well as him nor can I draw 70 lbs. I'm not looking foward to spending $1300.00 for a new outfitted Mathews. What do you think???

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I want a new one but am not going to pay $1000 for it. I restrung my bow last year but it's 10 years old. If I do get a new one, it won't be a high dollar one. And if I can't find a cheaper one that fits and I like it, then I'll continue to shoot my old one. I don't need fast, I think that's highly overrated. Accuate is where it's at. Consistant. And alot of that is you, not the bow. If you do your homework properly, all you need is something to push an arrow thru a deer and that really doesn't take much.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I know a lot of guy's insist on Mathew's but have you considered any other brand? My Reflex will shoot over 300fps that is at max draw weight Chrono'd mine at 50# & was shooting at 250 - 260fps (max weight is 60) Also shoots a very good group. I have the bighorn which may be their bottom line bow as I was on a tight budget at the time I paid $425 for the set up last fall & am VERY happy with it actually I have a hard time putting it down
NOW before I stat a WAR here I know it probably does not compare to a $1,300 Mathews but it suits me just fine & shoots extremely well so all I am saying is does it have to be a Mathews?

·
Registered
55 Posts
My neighbor has been shooting the same bow for over 17 years. He still uses alluminum arrows and pulls 60#. Though he has the money to upgrade, he doesn't. Whenever I look down his driveway in the fall he's got deer hanging. The guy doesn't miss. He keeps it simple.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I actually started out bow hunting with several Fred Bear recurves. Then compound bows hit the scene and like most hunters had to have one, a Bear brown bear. The physical limitations I have now makes it necessary to shoot a bow with a 80% letoff just to take the load off the right shoulder. I did the traditional bow hunting for quite a few years then in the 90's sold it all. Jim Brackenbury made great t/d recurves then I had a Bruin t/d bow made, both of those bows shot very well. Also, the new bows seem to be getting more speed with less radical designed cams, = easier to draw and maybe increase the draw weight a bit. The one area that I will disagree on is regarding speed. Speed allows a flatter shooting plane and with practice will allow a longer shot potential. 5 years ago when someone said they shoot 50 yds with a bow I would not have thought much of their claim, now I see it from my son and accurately done. I'm a max 30 yd hunter but can see where I could increase to 40 yds. Speed has its place in archery. I think increased fps will improve your accuracy. A drop away rest allows a shorter arrow and maybe a 5-8 fps increase and with other new gagets eak some more out of the old mathews.??? Just a note: custom t/d recurves are in the 7-900 range without add-ons.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
strings and cables should be no more than 100$ why do you need new sights the old ones break?the drop away s vary in cost shop around i bet you can get it all done for 200 and you'll be shooting a comfortable bow you know.:wink:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Joel, right now I use a single pin sight sighted in at 25 yds. If I can increase the sure shot distance I will need a second pin and my sight won't accomadate one. I would also use winner's choise string and cables which are in the $110.00 range and the drop away rest will be around 110.00 this is not top of the line but a very good one. So to add a good sight my expense is easy +250 ish. I agree on the shooting a familiar bow and that's why this is not an easy decision. I know this is a highly bias statement, but if this wasn't a Mathews bow I would not do the up-grades.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts