Deer Hunting Forums banner

Do you use a Safety Harness while in your treeStand?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general question: How many of you are using some type of safey restraint every time in you're in a ladder or tree stand? Be honest! Also, what do you think is the best all around safety system for the bow hunter? For the record, I'm not proud of this but I just can't get used to wearing a safety harness.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If I hunt the ladder stands I made, they have a 4' X 4' platform with a rail around them. So I don't use anything. In my climber or a hang on.......well I don't them there either, grins..... Last year was the first time I've used a safety belt in years. I'll be using them more in the future tho. I'm getting into the downhill slope of life.....

G

·
Sman I hope you are going to use a HARNESS not a belt. and those of you that don't you should so you will have years in the woods. as a former EMT-I any fall from higher than you are tall is a serious mechanism of injury.

·
Administrator
5,709 Posts
If I'm hunting alone I always use at LEAST my safety belt but If I'm hunting with someone I dont always use it...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
always use mine i got an HSS harness its easy to put on and off .A harness saved my life when i was working on the billboards more than once.They dont work if ya dont wear it.those belt style ones are junk throw em out unless you want to be paralyzed.the vest style is the easiet ,quitest simplest one to use.buy one and use it every time.you owe it to yourself and your family

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ronn, no belt for me I have read where they are dangerous. I hunt only at 16', but even that is high enough to present problems. I know that I have to change my ways and might as well start this year. I was curious to see how many were like me. I need to smarten up as this neck thing has at the moment some balance issues that hopefully go away by October.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
G

·
yeah the belts will kill ya. got to use a harness like the one joel is talking about. i've even used mine at work. 45 ft up on a chimney case cap that was a bout 3'X3'.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ronn, shows you how long it's been since I've used one. When I bout my belt...thats all there was...grins. My son has been talking to me about getting a harness.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have been bad by not wearing mine but I will be wearing one this year. I have fallen once from 35' and was very lucky to be hunting today. I still have problems with my feet an knees because of it. I am very careful now and never get over confident when climbing but we all know sh-t happens and my clock as well as all of yours is ticking. Changing my ways because I love to hunt and fish too much to have to give it up because of laziness not wearing my safety vest. Guys I really thought I was dieing laying there alone in the woods. Sure was an empty lonely feeling. That was many years ago and to this day I have night mares.:sad:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
your lucky wmi the coyotes didnt find ya.lesson learned the hard way.glad you still go out:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
by the way look around i bought mine used from someone who outgrew his .

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I am doing better with wearing a harness these days. Back when I strictly used a climber with a gun rest I never did. I felt safe just because i was completely surrounded by tree stand. Since i have went to using some hang-ons as well I always use a harness in one of those. And now when im by myself i always use a harness whether it be climber or hang-on. It took me having a wife and kids to start thinking more along the lines of safety and that someone's wants to see me get home in one piece tonight. I am also more cautious about what tree I set-up in too.

Safety first, wear a harness, do not be another statistic. :thumbup:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I do not go up in stands without my Gorilla harness vest. I am somewhat afraid of heights and the harness has boosted my confidence. When I first took it out of the package there were straps and belts everywhere. I was so confused by the mfg directions. Then I went online, found a reference picture and it all came together. It takes me about 45 seconds to secure all straps/belts. Trading 45 seconds a day is worth mitigating a lifetime of paralysis.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
the sportsmans guide hunting edition has a vest for 60-70$

1 - 20 of 32 Posts