Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about bow hunting from the ground to change locations during the "Chase/Rut". Never bow hunted like this before. looking for some info before i go out. Don't want to waste time on it if it's not real effective.. Looking for any input/advantages/disadvanteges.
Comments would be apprecaited..
Thanks

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings from Vermont "OhioMike", welcome to the site.
I hunt more from the ground than I do from a stand ONLY because I "THINK" I have the skills to ease into range of bedding or grazing/feeding deer but, if the wind isn't working in my favor I'm more likely to stay on the ground and get cozy near a Big tree or sit near a thick patch of brush.. make all walking and head movements slow... keep the wind in your face, Stop as soon as you see the slightest movement, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a deers ear twitch or tail flicker at 100 yards or more even if you think it's just a fern or a leaf, Stop and make sure... deer don't miss movement and they smell everything. Also, walk as light footed as possible breaking branches and crushing dry leaves is too noisy, I take no more than 3 slow steps then slowly scan the woods, 3 more steps and scan again. IF you jump a deer and see it run off don't chase after it, stay put for awhile. others will come along the same path that one did OR that one may return to see what spooked it off. I hope that helps. Good Luck to you...

·
Registered
100 Posts
ground hunting allows more versatility than being stationary in a stand but everything is magnified on the ground. you can get away with more in a stand: scent, movement, etc. so more care has to be taken when on the ground but you can cover more ground and find new spots in you area. i would also think that head to toe camo including head and neck would be needed as you'll be in their line of sight more so than in the stand 20' up!

·
Registered
100 Posts
bruce, i checked out that cam for $99 on nativeoutdoors and it looks good. do you have any pics you've got with that cam so i could see the quality? how is the set up, do you need the "perfect" tree or does it adapt well? thanks!

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
bruce, i checked out that cam for $99 on nativeoutdoors and it looks good. do you have any pics you've got with that cam so i could see the quality? how is the set up, do you need the "perfect" tree or does it adapt well? thanks!
you can check out the pic quality at this link http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/pictures/2330-my-1st-trail-cam-deer-pic.html
very easy to setup, comes with 2 bungee's that will easily let you hang onto a 10", 12" maybe 14" tree..

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i just killed a buck on sept 29th from the ground sitting on a 5 gal bucket.as a matter of fact i was gonna hang a stand today but there were acorns EVERYWHERE and i jumped 2 deer walking in.so i'm gonna set up in my old ground blind.its a large boulder on a sloping hill.it has a fallen tree in front and on the side,over the years i have added branches and trimmed shooting/sight lanes in several directions for a 100 yards.i sit on a 5 gal pail with the bottom rim sanded flat and the metal handle taped up with duct tape to prevent noise.i took a nice buck from there 2 yrs ago.hope to tag something there saturday ,our bow opener:wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the pointers,, sounds like something i will throughly enjoy. Going out tonight. Hopefully i'll have pics tomorrow..

·
Registered
283 Posts
3 more pointers:

1. Take 3-4 steps when the wind picks up to muffle your sounds. If it is very calm and quiet then you need to go at a snails pace.

2. Move when planes fly overhead. A few spots I hunt are very close to private airstrips so I have giant Cessna birds flying overhead.

3. Be attentative to Blue Jays and squarrels. If they start squawking then
be on alert in there direction. Quite often it passes without incident but 2 of my whitetails went down thanks to Bluejays. Understand deer also use other animals as early warning systems so if the Blue jays are sounding off at you then your probably busted.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
tip #3 has helped me several times :thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No deer from this weekend. But, I had a very successful still hunt. thanks for all the advice posted here. I was able to creep up on a nice doe to within 30 yards... didn't shoot, had too much brush in the way. Watched her for about 15-20minutes, but she didn't come into my shot. Pretty exciting stuff though.. good to know it's possible to hunt this way with bow.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
When they don't smell ya, hear ya or see ya. That's what causes a Deer to become Venison. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
No deer from this weekend. But, I had a very successful still hunt. thanks for all the advice posted here. I was able to creep up on a nice doe to within 30 yards... didn't shoot, had too much brush in the way. Watched her for about 15-20minutes, but she didn't come into my shot. Pretty exciting stuff though.. good to know it's possible to hunt this way with bow.
That sounds like a good hunt. There's nothing more exciting than being eye level with a deer. I have had some success on the ground but I prefer to use a stand with bow. Now with a muzzel loader or rifle I seem to have more success on the ground. Not always stalking but hunting ground blinds.

I will offer one piece of advice on still hunting deer. Seems like a lot of hunters will start stalking after they have been on stand awhile and haven't seen any deer. If the deer are bedded down it is very difficult to sneek up on them. The best time to hunt off the ground is when the deer are up and active. You have a much better chance of seeing them move before they see you.

Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Missed a monster buck last night. He walked right up behind me. I was sitting in a thicket of briars. two does came in to my right behind me about 20 yards. As i focused my attention that way. I heard something start to run directly behind me. as i turned around I saw the biggest buck i've ever seen in my life at 15 yards running away from me. I was crushed.... He was Awsome. I was sitting in a field about 80 yards from the edge which goes down into a hallow. My dad saw this buck the night before from the road at the same spot i sat in yesterday.
I sat down at 4:30pm, at 5:15 i used my doe bleat can from primo. Within 5 minutes i heard/seen the two does directly back/right of me. i also was using Jackies Triple discharge scent. From the way the wind was blowing this buck was going straight to this scent which was on my boots. too bad I had turned my back to him...
Hope I can get back out there soon....

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
mike try this i just bought a little tripod swivel chair ,cuz my bucket was smashed up.its from ameristep it cost 20 bucks weighs 2 lbs and has adjustable legs so you can level it off.it swivels with out making a sound.sure helped me this saturday.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, at Gandier Mountain they sell a swivel cusioned lid for 2-5 gallon buckets. it's like 12 bucks.. i just bought one. didn't have it last night...
I'm going back out tonight after that big boy!!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
every hunt is a learning experience and will make you a better hunter, just never know what may be following a doe! great story better luck next hunt!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts