Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you all replace the strings on your bows? Do they need to be replaced often? I have had my bow for about four years now and have not replaced or waxed the string. Though through those four years, I have only used it for hunting this year. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
as an avid archer i replace my strings every yr but i shoot 3000 shots a yr.u should keep your string waxed regularly and if you shoot alot you will notice wear and tear on the serving,and not to sound offensive but if your bowstring lasts you 4 years you really shouldnt be shooting at a deer you dont practice nearly enough.the bow is not like a gun you get what you put in,and the result of not enough practice is a wounded animal.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Your 4 year old bow is ready for a string. Every two years for strings for the average shooter should be good just be observant of the fraying thing already mentioned above. The string should be waxed regularly. Just apply the wax then I use a small piece of deer leather and rub the string until enough heat melts the wax into the string.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice

To Spiker: Thank you for the advice. But, by the way, just because I've had the bow for four years doesn't mean I can't shoot a darn. My first deer ever was taken with this bow, and so far I haven't missed a deer ever. Also, I got this bow when I was 14 and had to grow into it. I don't appreciate your assupmtions about my marksmen ship.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
first off i didnt make an assumption you said yourself that you only pick up the bow for hunting season,second and i stand by this if your string lasts four years you dont practice enough.owning a bow does not make you an archer ask the thousands of deer thet are wounded every year by hunters who pick the bow up two weeks before hunting season.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have had two bows, one for 2 years and one for about a year. i replaced the string on my compound(probably from a stupid mistake i made, but whos counting?). and my recurve hasnt seen nearly enough action to need a new string, i think its only been stung 3 or 4 times in the year that ive had it. and i have been practicing not as regularly as i should, and im not even thinking about using it to try and take an animal. i dont feel nearly confident enough, and im a decent shot. but i want to be a great shot before it comes in the woods with me. and as far as rifles go, the same holds true, mostly. sure, you can pick up just about any rifle and be fairly proficient with it, but you want to be extremely proficent with it. especially if you quarry is anything angrier than white tails.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Spiker I agree I replace mine every year or every other
I also go through 2 biscuts a year
New bow I am going to try a drop away but keeping the old one just in case

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I replace my string about every 4 years even if it doesn't need to be replaced,,, unless it needs to be changed sooner (obvious fraying visible) then I change it ASAP...
But I also inspect my string every time I use the bow before I put it back in the bow case.
I also wax my string before and after every use. Waxing is extremely important, wax is the strings lubricant not to mention wax is what protects the string from the elements, (dust, dirt, rain, snow, sun, etc etc) Waxing seems to help prolong string life also... If you're not waxing the string after each use, you're not waxing enough!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
gfdeputy2, you'll never go back once you install a drop a way rest. Accuracy will improve a bit too. Take a look at the QAD line especially the bone collector model, nice looking and high a quality rest.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
fall away rests r great the qad is a good rest ,some others that are solid trophy ridge drop zone and the limb saver drop away.anyone of these are quality drop aways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bow Strings

I agree with spiker and the others your bow string and cable should be inspected before and after use every time. Waxing should be done as needed depending on usage. Replacement of string and cable should be yearly or every 2 years. I change mine 3 times a year. I shoot every day that I can. Shooting a bow requires allot of practice to ensure you stay in excellent form. Bow strings are fairly inexpensive as compared to your bow. If your string breaks it can ruin your bow or hurt you as well.

I have found shooting my bow for 15 minutes every day keeps my shooting form very good and my shots accurate.

Whisker bisket is great for hunting short distances, however they are not for target shooting. The biscuit will start to degrade your arrow fletching after about 300 shots. There are allot of different arrow rests on the market, I use the drop zone on my hunting bow. There are others that are just as good. You want an arrow rest that gives you minimal arrow resistance upon release. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Stupid question for you guys from a 2nd year bow hunter..... how much does re-stringing a bow typically cost???

·
Registered
59 Posts
The bow i have, my boss gave to me for xmas several years ago, he said the last time he stringed it was 2002. I wax my string before and after i shoot each time i shoot. I just got my string replaced but it was because debri got caught in the pulley and forced the cable off the pully. Done line. I supposed what i am saying is that proper car of equipment tremedously changes the life expectancy of any thing. Shot ten years strong the freak accident got its new string after only 8 years. Like to add i am a shoot a holic. Not just a pick it up for a few minutes a month

1 - 16 of 16 Posts