Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this is a Deer hunting forum, but when hunting bigger game, do you need to have a higher compound (call it what you wish) on your bow. My draw strength is 60 lbs. Whether its elk, bear, etc. would I need something higher?

thanks

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
i would think 60lbs would be plenty, just bring a side arm just in case
Handguns may not be allowed on Bow Hunts in the area you are hunting Check the laws before bringing along a side arm.
In Vermont we're not allowed to carry a handgun or rifle during the Archery season.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
i gess the second admendment is void in vermont. glad i live in NH:ibtl:live free or die.
No it's not void at all, it's a hunting Law that we hunters abide by.
Vermont is one of ony 2 states where CC permits are not required.
I'm glad I live in Vermont where my state officials don't decide by an application process whether or not I can carry.

G

·
i would think you wouldn't have to change setups for bear or elk. most bows offer up way more energy than needed to take a deer, even with light arrows. there is a place that can tell you the energy of this weight arrow at this speed to give you the energy, and therefore penetration, online, but i can't remember what it is. they also said like 45ft lbs is sufficient for deer and most bows are up around 80 ft lbs. i think i got those numbers close.

G

·
also isn't that for concealed carry what about open carry?

thinking it would be a good idea to check the laws before crossing state lines. I carry concealed when in vt cause anyone can, not while hunting though. cause i don't hunt there but it is a good point to know the hunting laws. you can carry here while bow hunting but not while turkey hunting. go figure.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
i know this this the wrong topic but bruce if vt doesn't issue permits how does a non resident get one? i've always thought anyone can carry in vt...as long as they aren't a fellon.
In order to carry in Vermont A non resident is required to have one from any other state that issues, usually it's their home state.

G

·
oh okay that makes sense. i guess. i know some vt res cross to border towns and get nh permits. i didn't think that was legal but i don't know for sure cause some states don't issue nonresident permits and I thought nh was one that didn't. thats why i was in favor of nation wide reciprocity that died after the election.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
VT reconizes NH's pistol permits. i carry when i go to vermonster 4x4 every year. gess ill never hunt in VT. not trying to pick an argument. i just wont be told i can be armed, if that meens i cant bow hunt i sertan sates than so be it.

G

·
heck huntnh that would mean you can't cross out of nh. maine, and mass are no-nos then after vt the next state that nh has reciprocity with is pa. guess you're stuck here.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
huntnh, ronn said a few posts back that in NH you can carry while bow hunting but can't carry while turkey hunting, who knows why these laws are the way they are but the bottom line is we gotta respect the laws whether it be here or there or anywhere else for that matter.

G

·
huntnh, ronn said a few posts back that in NH you can carry while bow hunting but can't carry while turkey hunting, who knows why these laws are the way they are but the bottom line is we gotta respect the laws whether it be here or there or anywhere else for that matter.
100% correct.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
about following the laws, i agree with you. as for turky hunting, if i got a shotgun i dont need a hand gun on me. here are the states this good ol boy can go to.
AK*, AL, AZ, CO, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MO, MS, NC, ND, OK, PA, SD, TN, UT, VT*, WY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.