Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yall ever seen this before. i got a farmer friend of mine that had 2 deer go to his pond and just hang out in it for a day. they were not scared of humans and let us take pictures of them and get relatively close. the next day they were dead. i am writing an article on this and ive got the photos of the deer so in the next week or so ill try to have it up. most of the time with this virus the deer travel to water, lose their fear of what their normally wary of, and have a chance of dying. odd indeed. it is more common down south though so yall northerners should not see it much. they get it from flies and gnats and bugs like that, that bite them.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
saw a show bout it 5-3yrs ago .totally different from CWD.This is why they want to stop baiting.makes sense,you got a sick dog you let the other dogs drink from the same bowl

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
22 pointer found in a dudes barn a county over from mine. im trying to get a photo of his rack from a guy at work. blue tounge at it again. sad

·
Registered
90 Posts
Natural Disease

The Blue Tongue Disease (EHD) is a naturally occuring disease in nature. I live in TN and we have had bad problems with it this year. TWRA is claiming that we have had a loss of 20-45% in some counties. The main problem with it this year is that there has been hardly any rain ( at least in the South).

The disease normall kills a few deer each year in the months of July and August. Being that it's the hottest time of the year and normally rainfall is a little lacking in most areas.However, with the absence of almost any rainfall this year, many herds of deer have been grouped around the small ( often stagnant) water sources that they can find. The disease comes from no-see-ems and sometimes from drinking water. With several deer collecting in one area the the insects will do the same. This means more bites (more of the disease keeps being injected in the animal) and also, since the water is being shared and is just setting, it too can transmit the disease.

TWRA said that the deer are safe to eat but as my dad said ( he works for a division of TWRA) would you eat a disease cow?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, I was bowhunting in Illinois week of 11-6-07 and walked up on a spike buck that was on his death bed and indeed was dead the next day. Illinois DNR has found approx. 200 dead deer this year from "Blue Tongue"
May be worse this year because of drought ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts