Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I found three good size bucks dead. 12 pointer, 10 pointer and a nine pointer. I was told it was Blue toungue. I European mounted the deer because they were too good to let go. I have been told that the diseaese is worse this yaer and steadily growing. Ha anyone else encountered this problem? I live by the river, luckily I have not found any yet this year. What is this disease? I will try to post pics of the bucks that I found and some of he ones that I have caught on trail cam. Only been hunting three years. My wife got me into it. She gave me a mathews bow that she could not pull back. She got a heck of an 8 pointer with her bow last year. ( darn it). I have yet to get a buck, but the does taste just as good. Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed that you live in Western Illinois. I live in Big Rock, which is just west of Aurora, IL. I have not noticed any blue tongue disease out this way. Must just be in your area. Please keep us posted if you find any this year.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was looking that up a little while ago and noticed that there's some info about Blue Tongue in the Hunting Tips. Thought I'd throw that out there!

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
yeah check that article out. the deer tongue does not always turn blue. its mostly a down south disease. most likely to happen in high drought hot seasons. you probably noticed them because you live close to water. they get a fever with this blue tongue and they move to cooler shaded areas and or water.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm in Kentucky, and it has been reported in almost all 120 counties. However, the KFWDR is only estimating that 3,000 out of the herd has been affected. I also heard that once we started receiving frosts, that the disease should die down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts