Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get some tips on rifle hunting out of a blind. I'm in the military and it's been quite a few years since I've hunted. My brother in law blind hunts and swears by it. He's in North Dakota and I'm in Washington State, two much different terrains. Any help would be much appreciated......

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Well...I REALLY like to use ground blinds....one b/c I am very afraid of heights....I used to use pop-ups but now I have a haybale blind....I've also hunted in an old wood box blind which was very nice compared to the pop-ups

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
I have never had fields to hunt until recently. Thats why I have never hunted out of blinds very often. This year I have some fields so I may try out the blind as well a couple times this year. I think they have their place in hunting.

As far as being worried about your big butt falling out of a tree your not alone. Their are alot of hunters like that. So dont let us tree hunters bother you none.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I am with you ETD I also do not like heights well its not the height so much as the sudden stop when I fall. I am a firefighter too so many people ask me how I can do that job & not like heights. I tell them thats why I am a Chief officer I make someone else do it. my hunting partner laughs when I use mine I only go up about 10' this is probably why I have more success stalking. Did get a ground blind sould be in this weekend will see how I like it otherwise going to have to get the nerve to go higher in the tree :unsure:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have hunted out of an Ameristep ground blind for a couple of yrs now and I have had some close encounters with deer!! They seem to be very curious when they notice something different so be prepared to be very still. I like them because I have leased 250 acres this year and that is alot of acres to cover in a couple months!!:wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had lots of success hunting from ground blinds. I would recomend wearing black clothing while in the blind. It is also a good idea to use local vegiitation to help conceal your blind. Scent control is still very important, you will probably experiance some very close encouters if set up in high traffic areas. They can be great. Good luck.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I have had lots of success hunting from ground blinds. I would recomend wearing black clothing while in the blind. It is also a good idea to use local vegiitation to help conceal your blind. Scent control is still very important, you will probably experiance some very close encouters if set up in high traffic areas. They can be great. Good luck.
Black clothing in a blind is a very bad suggestion, many Deer seasons run during Bear seasons, (most Bears are Black) Don't wear black clothing..
Make sure you always wear appropriate clothing for that particular hunting season. (Camo, Red plaid, blaze (safety) orange, etc, etc.) make sure you check your local laws some states require certain attire during certain hunting seasons..
Hunting from a Blind can be just as successful as any other style of hunting. Good luck to you and happy safe hunting!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i just killed a buck sitting on the ground on a 5 gal pail up against a tree .dont get any easier than that.just watch the wind,be prepared for a quick shot as you'll only get one chance.Thanks for your service to this great nation:bye:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts