Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so upon all my preparations for my first hunting trip with my son I overlooked one major thing, what he will use to support the front of the rifle. Myself I'm pretty good without anything from a kneeling or prone position but he will need something.

He has been shooting from a Sitting position using a bail of straw for support. But I can't lug that to the blind. I'm sure I will figure something out as I'm pretty resourceful but what would be some good lightweight equipment I could buy for this? The rifle is a savage model 11fxp3.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well if you dont want to spend money you could always cut a tree branch with a v in it to the correct height. or you could go to walmart... they have shooting sticks for 20 dollars. personally i go cheap and use a tree branch. but its up to you... good luck and safe hunting:thumbup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can buy a mono-pod

They make a device called a mono-pod that kinda looks like a cane with an adjustable rifle rest on it. It would work great if you are sitting in the blind and want a stable rest on the front of the rifle. Just make sure none of your rests or shooting sticks are touching the actual barrel of the rifle. The upward pressure on the barrel will change the bullets point of impact. The forward portion of the stock is where you would want to have it rest not the barrel.

Karl

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
well if you dont want to spend money you could always cut a tree branch with a v in it to the correct height. or you could go to walmart... they have shooting sticks for 20 dollars. personally i go cheap and use a tree branch. but its up to you... good luck and safe hunting:thumbup:
I'll tell you right now, ALL of those tripods or bipods or monopods are OVER PRICED!!! They are rediculous. Bass pro had one w/a trigger supposedly on sale for $39!!!! That's crazy.

Truth be told, I did exactly what chasin did... I found a good hickory tree and cut off a branch that was about golf ball size in diameter and it was about 4 feet long and it made a PERFECT "V" at one end. it works well, plus I saved $40+ dollars

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I have a Primos trigger stick that you can adjust to any height quickly and easily. They do make a bipod and tripod stick as well. I have the single foot deal but like chasing said a regular stick in a v shape to support the barrel will work perfectly.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Another cheap option for a shooting support

I was reading the other posts and have to wonder if an old sking pole would not work. I have some with a molded handgrip that might work pretty well, if it doesn't block the sightline of the scope.

Karl

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
A regular straight stick will work also. Just hold the stick with your aiming hand and lay the barrel on top of your hand where it would be resting across your thumb and pointer finger.

·
Registered
37 Posts
since I usually shoot from the prone position, I mount a bipod on my rifles at the same time I mount a scope. I did find that now that I am hunting from a portable tree stand, I need to modify my bipods with some type of inverted v shaped feet to rest on the front of the stand

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well yesterday evening while in my storage unit I found my old aluminum framed camera tripod that has telescoping legs and the center will raise alone using a turn handle.

Since I never used it any more I fitted some sides peices on it to keep the rifle from falling off the sides and it works quite well and can be sort enough to use while sitting or tall enough to use standing.

Also when folded and collapsed it fits nicely into my field pack with the rest of my gear and is very light so ima stick with it. Might still get a bipod for prone shooting though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol i don't know about all that. But yea I could make the side pieces adjustable to allocate for different stock forearm widths(even though most are roughly the same) and camo out the frame and bam sell it to one of these big companies and reap the rewards lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Find a forked stick he likes and have him decorate it himself. 1 its free 2. He just might be proud of what he made and found. But if you need to buy one, I am not a fan of bi pods attached to the gun! Cumbersome and noisy. The Caldwell XLA has three different sizes price range from 40 to 60 bucks. Check it out. Bass Pro Shops

·
Registered
27 Posts
going cheap

I had the an old camera tripod that the mount was broken. I cut the camera mount off leaving only a 1 inch post. a trip to the hardware store I got a 1 1/2" PVC pipe Tee. cut the thing to leave the U shape. A reducer,also PVC that would fit the tube on the tripod and the pipe Tee and your in business. it will take some sanding to let the Tee spin on the reducer but it works great. Is fully adjustable from about 1 1/2 ft. tall to eye level standing. everyone who has seen the thing has been very impressed. If your interested I'll try to get you some pictures. the thing would cost less than $20 if you had to buy everything.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
funny I use a camera tripod for my daughter been using it for a couple years now & it does work great

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had the an old camera tripod that the mount was broken. I cut the camera mount off leaving only a 1 inch post. a trip to the hardware store I got a 1 1/2" PVC pipe Tee. cut the thing to leave the U shape. A reducer,also PVC that would fit the tube on the tripod and the pipe Tee and your in business. it will take some sanding to let the Tee spin on the reducer but it works great. Is fully adjustable from about 1 1/2 ft. tall to eye level standing. everyone who has seen the thing has been very impressed. If your interested I'll try to get you some pictures. the thing would cost less than $20 if you had to buy everything.
I left the mount on mine and just attached some side pieces we had at work and the tripod was something I aquired for free so im in it $0 lol.

The tripod does work great and love the adjustability and its compact!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I picked up two dowel rods at Wal Mart and drilled a hole big enough for a machine screw and wing nut to go through about three inches from the top. Cost was about 3 dollars and is rock steady. Bloodied it up the first day of use too.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
was at wal-mart yesterday looking at their hunting section and winchester makes a shooting stick that's plain-jane, but it works. It's only $10... thinking about picking one up. Now, it's not as sturdy as those $40 ones, but if all you're needing is a rest, this looks like it'd work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'll tell you right now, ALL of those tripods or bipods or monopods are OVER PRICED!!! They are rediculous. Bass pro had one w/a trigger supposedly on sale for $39!!!! That's crazy.

Truth be told, I did exactly what chasin did... I found a good hickory tree and cut off a branch that was about golf ball size in diameter and it was about 4 feet long and it made a PERFECT "V" at one end. it works well, plus I saved $40+ dollars
Agree with you. All of those bipods is expensive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts