Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite brand of binoculars......Bushnell, Leupold, Nikon, Simmons, Swarovski? Or another brand?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hunting heavy woods of PA normally binoculars are not used especially prior to the new point system. When I went to Colorado I borrowed each time. I am looking at a new set and for the money I like the Nikon Monarks in camo, either 8X40 or 10X40. If a dream came true Swarovski's would be under the Christmas tree. I spent about an hour at Cabela's looking through them, pricy but amaisingly clear. I'm sure dollar for dollar the Leupold line and Nikon would be near equal. I too would be interested in hearing members thoughts on this subject before I spend the big $$$.

G

·
i don't have a preference. i use a small pair of simmons. i'm not trying to see a deer at 1000 yards just pick him out of the brush.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've had a pair of Nikon monarch 8x40 for the past few seasons. They seem to be very clear and have good adjustable features. If you start using binoculars I would certainly recommend one of the strap systems that let you wear them like a reverse back pack. I can't remember the brand name, but I think I got mine at walmart. I had a 10x50 set of Nicon binoculars before these, and they had a really good view, but got a little big and heavy to take into the field. The smaller 8x40 monarch binocs are much more portable and a better choice if you have to do much walking to your spot.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I use a pair of Burris signiture series 10 x 50's. Very clear. I didn't realise the difference in quality of bino's until I got them. I'm not trying to see wayyyy out there either but even at short range it's amazing the detail you can pick up.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i got a good pair of nikon binoc.the sky and earth series .I've had them for 15yrs.The best thing i bought to go with them is the crooked horn outfitters binnoc harness.they go around your shoulders not your neck and they make wearing them all day easy:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I think that's where the extra dollars come in it's the quality of what your looking at and seeing. With-in reason I think you get what you pay for in optics, whether it be scopes or binoculars these days. Also, wearing glasses is a problem with some of the binoculars.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
All's I have is a basic Bushnell set and they fog up everytime I use them regardless of weather conditions. Mostly when I try to look through for long periods of time.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
When it comes to Binoculars some areas require a hunter to scan fields at 500 to 1000 yards sometimes further, where other hunters may only need to see a woodline or hilltop 150 yards away.... I use bushnell and simmons for the 150 to 200 yard viewing range so it just isn't cost effective for me to spend a lot of cash on expensive Binoculars.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
timerghost they sell spray to prevent that from happening .try it out:thumbup:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yea Ron for where he hunts. It's amazing how far you can see out there.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I used to have a cheap rifle scope years ago that fogged on me a few times,
I used Rain-X it worked well for me.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
In an emergency, just like divers, spit works! Normally with good optics this isn't a problem. I think most scope makers have reduced this problem with new lens coatings.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I got to look in the big box of stuff and get back to ya.rain x is available at all auto parts stores:wink:

·
Registered
798 Posts
i'll bet onehorse has some good glass.
I wish I could afford Swarovski. Currently I have a small compact Bushnell spotting scope which is great to carry, but not much good when you start cranking up the power. I just got a Nikon ProStaff 16-48X65 which is bigger and heavier, but it sure brings things up close and clear - I can see bullet holes in a target over 400 yards away. For binos I have a set of medium prices Smith and Wesson 10x42 and a pair of Bushnells 7x35. I like using the Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino System as it is comfortable and gets the binos into use really quickly.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I see where sportsman's guide has steiner 10X50's for 299.97 but they are 36 ozs would you consider these to be excessive weight for hunting? I'm sure the glass quality is very good but there may be lighter models with same quality optics. Nikon monarch 10X42 are 21ozs for 299.99 at Cabela's. Onehorse, would you trade a spotting scope for high quality binoculars if you were limited to just one or the other?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts