Deer Hunting Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can use buckshot in Maine too. I am not a fan of buckshot, I think it encourages a hunter to be careless in his aiming. A lot of deer end up wounded and not ever found. A lot of buckshot entry wounds bleed very little, which makes tracking very difficult, and sometimes impossible.

I have also had my experiences with both single o and double oo. If I use a shotgun then it is slugs only.

My dad once told me, that him and his brother, and one other person slammed a buck so many times with buckshot before he finally succumed, that the deer wasn't even worth bringing home, because it was peppered with buckshot.

AJHunter

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
There is buckshot and there is BUCKSHOT!

There is a world of difference between the little .33 caliber, 54 grain, 00 buckshot and the Dixie Tri-Ball .60 caliber, 315 grain BUCKSHOT!

You will get complete penetration on any reasonable shot taken on whitetail deer with Tri-Ball loads. Three through and through .60 caliber holes let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.

Don't confuse the Dixie Tri-Ball with those little 00 buck loads!

·
Banned
5 Posts
Although Dixie calls The Tri-Ball loads, 3" and 3 1/2", buckshot......there is no real comparison in striking power compared to regular buckshot!
There are many hunting situations where a Multi-Ball load, like the Tri-Ball loads, is better that a single ball load, slug or otherwise.
The problem arises where a buckshot load is compared with the multi-ball Tri-Ball loads. Each .600" ball , of the three ball load, has the striking power of some rifles in use now.
Like all new products, there is a great deal of un-founded speculation put out by those who have not even tested the product!.....epsecially on game.
By calling a multi-ball load, like the Tri-Ball loads, buckshot.....It drags along the hunters impression of the less powerful regular buckshot.
Dixie called the Tri-Ball loads buckshot in order to reach the much overlooked buckshot market.
Contrary to what many think.....buckshot, used properly, remains a very large hunting group....most in the denser woodland areas of the Southern tier of States.
It is sad indeed that many have speculative opinions about a product they have never used!
The ammo making game is an odd market indeed. The maker seldon receives word of the successful use of their products......it's just supposed to work! The real rule of the thumb is re-orders! That's how Ole" Dixie knows that that we have a good product......we have trouble keeping up with re-orders!
Regards, James

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
we get it you sell dixie tri ball loads please move on:wallbash:

·
Registered
182 Posts
i tried these tri ball things and wasnt pleased. I took a 50 yard shot at a doe and almost lost it. one ball missed the deer, one was just under the skin on the shoulder blade, and the other one lucky enough hit the lung and heart. I myself dont like them or buck shot in general. Just me though. Its seems like too big of a chance to injure the deer.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Tell us more!

i tried these tri ball things and wasnt pleased. I took a 50 yard shot at a doe and almost lost it. one ball missed the deer, one was just under the skin on the shoulder blade, and the other one lucky enough hit the lung and heart. I myself dont like them or buck shot in general. Just me though. Its seems like too big of a chance to injure the deer.
Please tell us the rest of the story. What gauge shotgun were you using?
What brand of ammo were you using? What was the size or diameter of the buckshot? Had you patterned the ammo at that distance?

I highly doubt it was Dixie Tri-Ball. The Tri-Ball from Dixie Slugs is legally buckshot but the comparison ends there. Those 315 hard cast .60 caliber move out at 1050 to 1150 fps depending on the length (3" or 3.5"). These strike just as hard as the .44 Magnum at the range you describe and cut a larger hole.

So like Paul Harvey, tell us the "...rest of the story."

RMc

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You could be right RMc, but I still prefer the biggest buckshot of them all, called a slug. LOL

The slug will bring down any Buck Shot, Get It. LOL

AJHunter

:yes:
I understand you folks up in Maine occasionally shoot a few moose each year. I have personally seen the Dixie Terminator 12 gauge round penetrate just as deep in a test medium as a .416 Rigby factory round (Federal brand) loaded with 400 grain Nosler Partition bullets. The Dixie round also blew a bigger hole! The Terminator amounts to a .73 caliber rifle with a 730 grain hard cast, heat treated bullet at 1200 fps. The Terminator was designed from the ground up as modern day version of the late 19th century ammo used in British 12 bore rifles.

RMc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was using a mossberg 500 12ga 3in shell. Not sure what brand but i know it wasnt the average buckshot. My uncle gave it to me to try so i never shot it prior to that day.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i got a moss 500 my uncle who was in nam showed me how to do a assualt with a 12.Did you know buckshot will skip off the ground like a frisbee?2 men side by side shooting double ought(no name) buck tore a 4x 8sheet of plywood.NUFF SAID:yawn:

·
Banned
5 Posts
I am also most interested in the post about the supposed failure of the Tri-Bal load! If the poster will supply the name of who we shipped the Dixie Tri-Ball loads to, when, and where.....we will compare it to our shipping records and return their money (cost and shipping)!
I find it very interesting that compared to the thousands of Tri-Ball rounds shipped (and reorders), this is the only complaint we have received.
If is is valid, we will send the money back.....I will just have to wait and see!
Regards, James

·
Registered
182 Posts
sorry im not sure what brand they were, i dont remember. They did leave a good size whole though. I wouldnt call it faling either. How much are those tri ball loads? I cant seem to find them in any stores around me..

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
hey dixes slugs i think you ought to ship some free shells to some of the guys on here that are interested in them. you have had free exposure of your slugs on here for some time. time for you to pay back some deerhuntersclub.com members since we allowed you to do that. if your not willing to do that im seriously considering closing the thread. the only reason i have left it open this long is because member burgerking sounds interested in learning about them.

this site is here for the hunter not the seller. so considering donating some of the outstanding tri-balls and we will have our shoutgun hunters try them out and we will post your review on the home page. if your shells are as good as you say they are you will have free good review of them on the home page for a week or two. and our members get something in return.

check out product review on this link

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/advertise/

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yea that would be awsome if you could donate some, but if not at least give me a website or something, ill give them a SHOT! haha, i made a joke. Buckfever if you have a problem with us discussing this just let me know, i dont want to go against the forums initiative. I respect what you are tryin to provide the public with, its awsome. Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
burgerking you seem interested in it so thats why im letting it go on. want hunters to be able to get information. just think he ought to give us some shells so you can review them for free. im curious to see what he says.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i used the winchester supreme elite slugs....2 3/4 inch at 2000 ft per second....had nothing but success and i dont think id ever try anything different

·
Registered
182 Posts
ok buckfever well thanks letting me get the info i want. It would be nice if he could donate some for sure! He shouldnt have anything to worry about if they are that good, an you offered great advertisment too.

yea wisconsin i love them too. Have had success with them as well. good choice.. what kind of gun do you have?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.