Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is one of the biggest rubs I have ever seen if not the biggest. The tallest "gash" in the tree is a little over 4 feet tall. The tree also has about a 12inch diameter. If I had bears in the area I would have thought a bear made it. This buck must have been mad at the world The buck actually rubbed on two trees as you can see in the photo
I KNOW THE PIC IS SMALL BUT YOU HAVE TO LOOK CLOSE AT THE BOTTOM OF BOTH TREES AND YOU CAN SEE THE RUBS. . .

R

·
0 Posts
Thats a very impressive rub. I've seen one in an ash tree about 20" in diameter in NH and 1 in another state in a tree about 24" in diameter. Would love to see the deer take can make rubs like that one there and the others I've seen. Probably scare me.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I saw something like that on a hunt at Oak ridge national lab where they work on all the nukes. I didn't know what in the world it was then I heard a week later that some of the Elk had migrated down from Royal Blue.

That is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
ya sure you dont have bears?that looks a bear did that to me

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know there have NEVER been any bears in my part of Texas (Austin County) :confused:

R

·
0 Posts
No Bear. nowhere near high enough up the tree to be a bear. A bear reaches up as high as it can to say "see how big I am?" You can almost always see marks, like a rake in the sand, from each claw on a paw.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It almost has to be a deer. All we have out there (that I know of) are bobcats, coyotes, deer, the occasional wild pig, coons, etc. but NO bears

·
Registered
389 Posts
The Louisiana Black Bear (subspeciesU. a. luteolus) is on the federal threatened species list. It is not known to be found in Texas, although potential habitat exists in the eastern part of the state.

Distribution Today, Black Bears are found predominantly in the Appalachian area of the eastern U.S. across Canada to the Northern Pacific Coast. In addition, Black Bears are found in most of the Gulf Coast states and the Rocky Mountains.

Other If you judge by recent reported sightings, the Black Bear is making a significant comeback in Texas.

THIS WAS ON TEXAS GAME AND FISH SITE, MAY WANT TO GET TRAIL CAM SET-UP.

I THINK IF YOU LOOK AT TOP OF 1ST PICTURE YOU'LL SEE "LINES IN SAND" TYPE MARKS RONN REFFERED TO. AS FAR AS BEING TOO LOW, COULD BE THAT'S WHERE INSECTS WERE HE WAS TRYING TO GET TO.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
do you know that bears love to eat ants?I just attended a seminar on bears a few weeks back.anyway without pics we may never know.maybe it was bigfoot:lol:

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back to Turtle's comment- - -
"I THINK IF YOU LOOK AT TOP OF 1ST PICTURE YOU'LL SEE "LINES IN SAND" TYPE MARKS RONN REFFERED TO. AS FAR AS BEING TOO LOW, COULD BE THAT'S WHERE INSECTS WERE HE WAS TRYING TO GET TO."

The ants are all around the tree I think they are called "Cut Ants". But I REALLY don't think that there is a bear in the area. . . I mean I have not seen another single tree so marked up like this. . . and I think I would have seen one because I have been shed hunting the last few weeks and have not seen a single tree so "marked up." But If there is a bear he must be like a ghost or something because there are NO tracks or anything like that around

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well ,just me, but with the highest gash being over 4 ft high, if I was going to hunt that deer, I would go loaded for bear.:w00t:

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look how tall this buck's antlers are!!! Maybe he did it?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Ya Never Know what will happen in the Wild...
they kept blaming the squirrels.. Imagine the homeowner's surprise when they saw this Big Black Squirrel.

R

·
0 Posts
ok its a bear ha ha ha Its not a 170 class with a split brow on his left side. Where exactly is this tree and is there a place to hang a stand?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts