Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cought this buck on camera for past two weeks at my family land. This is my first year hunting and my first buck i have crossed paths with. Any clue what he would score? Should I take him this year if possible or wait till next?

There is two scrapes about 25 yards to the right of the camera, Doesnt look like they have been messed with much. But they have been there sence eairly September.

Also on October 5th when he comes through in the picture he makes a fresh rub on one of the sapling trees right infront of camera.

I have put corn down and a mineral lick where the camera is facing to bring in some pics.

Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appericate. Just wondering if this is gonna be a decent place to put a stand up and maby he might come back through.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
DUDE! HECK YES he's a shooter! I would say he's either 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 year old. He's tall and wide and he's DEFINATELY a buck I'd shoot. He'll be a mounter! I would guess him to score around 160 - 170 non-typically.

Wish I was huntin' where you're at!!!! Good luck and let us know when you get him!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you get a shot take it, dont expect buck like that to come around to often most have to hunt for many years to harvest a buck like that. Be careful placing your stand. A old buck like that doesnt get that old by being dumb if you can place your stand farther away but where you can still take a shot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for input. I will definitely be in the woods every morning and afternoon till I get him. I hunt in upper South Carolina so I dont think the rut will be in for another 3 weeks or so if im not mistaking from what I have been told. Ill definitely take the advice and set up somewhere off his couple scrapes I found about 40 - 50 yards back. Hope he does come out. I would love to drop him for my first buck kill. I would consider myself very fortunate. Another big reason is its my grandads land im hunting on and would be nice to have a buck off my family land to remember for a long time down the road.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
852 Posts
Stop shaking and shoot

I haven't had the problem that you are going to have with this beauty, just SHOOT. I always look for antlers and if I see them I am looking for a shot. This big boy will be wonderful on your wall, we expect to see a picture posted with a big smile on your face.

Karl

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
If this is your first buck ever... you are in for a dandy. Sit back and enjoy! Like many said on here already, don't set up too close to his trail and MAKE SURE you watch your winds and scent. Set up a pattern schedule that he is on and make sure you are in the woods 1-2 hours BEFORE you know he'll be coming through. Now that being said, don't be disappointed if you hunt the next 20 days and never see him! Deer are funny that way. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks man. Ya ima try and not get to discouraged. I have sat in these woods now just about everyday from opening bow season in SC. I havent killed a deer yet but have seen few does. I know there are around tho, I just believe there all out at night around my way. But yea ill defently take ur advice and be in there as much time as possible. The only thing im stumped on as a new hunter is deciding a good spot to set stand up that would be on a path he walks and wouldnt spook him if he came around. Ill let you guys know when i bag him.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have sat in these woods now just about everyday from opening bow season in SC. But yea ill defently take ur advice and be in there as much time as possible.

You might have misunderstood me on the pressure thing... If I were you, I'd hunt him like crazy.... BUT make sure you change up your locations and take a couple days off here and there. Deer know if you've been in the woods or not, and if you make your woods a highway, they are going to leave. Try to set up other cams where you think this big boy would be coming from or going and try to catch him off guard. Good luck man!

G

·
What the hell lol. Why cant I have deer that look like that? My trial cams are full of Does and the biggest buck I have seen so far this year was the 125 pound 6 point I shot 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Every buck like that is so unique that harvesting one is a lifetime achievement. One thing I keep reading is all the early scrapes being reported, what's up with that? Very nice buck and one that I would be happy to harvest. Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya I have seen scrapes all over the place. Found 4 more scrapes connected to the two near this photo. Guessing its his. Also found another scrape line about 100 yards away in another part of woods. I followed that one and threw up a trail cam and cought this 6 pointer I believe on camera.

I relocated my main camera I cought that monster on up further on those scrapes. He has a rub line with about 7 - 8 scrapes on it.

Here is a pic of the other buck I cought on the other scrape line. I belive he is a 6 pointer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.