Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i know alot of you reload but im asking what cheap ammo is the most accurate for you.for me its remington.my savage116 3006 will keep remington soft pts under an inch.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'd say Remington also.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I too use mostly Remington ammo. I don't shoot as much as I would like but always had good luck using Rem ammo. whats the least expensive for just shooting, maybe Wolf??? Really don't know.

R

·
0 Posts
i don't buy cheap ammo because it doesn't shoot as well as hornady. the only remington ammo i buy is for the 338rum and 125 a box of 20 ain't cheap

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
1 time I ordered ammo from a speciality shop in California because it was for a 30 cal remington and couldn't find any locally. About 20% of the bullets would literally fall out of the cases!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I too use mostly Remington ammo. I don't shoot as much as I would like but always had good luck using Rem ammo. whats the least expensive for just shooting, maybe Wolf??? Really don't know.
I was looking at walmart the other week and they had Federal centerfire ammo in red boxes for real cheap. 30-06, .243 and .270 were all $13 a box...30-30 was $12 and 7mm rem mag was about $17.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
That's a good price. I need a vault or something to store ammo in. Right now I have an overflowing ww2 wooden big shell box, probably not a good system. Before the vault I stored everything in the bottom of the gun cabinet.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some of the wolf ammo has a laquer finish,i wont shoot this in my 223"s very corrosive and filthy not worth the savings.another midrange ammo that shoots well for me is the federal fusions.had good luck with them in 300wsm 165grns

·
Registered
820 Posts
some of the wolf ammo has a laquer finish,i wont shoot this in my 223"s very corrosive and filthy not worth the savings.another midrange ammo that shoots well for me is the federal fusions.had good luck with them in 300wsm 165grns
wolf isn't corrosive..

R

·
0 Posts
a lot of cheap ammo is really dirty. that cheap remington 22 stuff can really fowl a semi 22. and 1 out 10 won't have enough to cycle the action. yet another reason to try and stay away from cheap ammo

·
Registered
820 Posts
a lot of cheap ammo is really dirty. that cheap remington 22 stuff can really fowl a semi 22. and 1 out 10 won't have enough to cycle the action. yet another reason to try and stay away from cheap ammo
not all cheap ammo is bad, by any means. Remington .22 ammo is really really poor quality. Bad priming, bad consistency, extremely dirty, a lot of blowback in semi auto's. Cheaper federal and winchester .22lr is really good stuff, its basically all I shoot for .22lr. I will never buy another box of Remington .22lr.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Cheap ammo is not bad at all. many weapons shoot very well with cheap ammos. I often use cheaps ammos for plinking right along with millions of other shooters. My .270 Ruger shoots Remington 130gr. PSP core lokt's better than anything else, I think those might be about the cheapest .270 rounds on the market.

Years ago a friend of mine was having problems with a .22 semi auto pistol, the thing kept jamming on him and he insisted on blaming it on the cheap Remington ammo he was using.
I kept telling him that it would be rare for a .22 round to cause the jamming problem most times the reason is in the equipment not the ammo. I was trying to tell him in a nice way so I wouldn't have to tell him flat out that his handgun was a piece of junk.
one day we were together shooting and he takes out "Ole Jammer" lol after 2 or 3 jamm's I said come on lets go to my house and figure this out.
First I weighed all his remaining ammo one by one to see if there were any shy loads, didn't find any to be concerned with.

next I cleaned his handgun for him by breaking it down completely which he admitted he rarely did, it was dirty as all heck but I noticed he had some slide problems, after careful examination I found a couple of small bur's on the Slide rail which obviously snuck right past quality control..
sometimes the smallest imperfections can cause problems. a little TLC with a file and the slide looked a lot better.
Finally His jamming problem ended but for him it was easier to blame the problem on cheap ammo then blame it on what he thought was a great little handgun.. JMHO

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I run the federal red box (can't remember what they call it) in my Ruger m77 & my mini 30 it is what they use for testing & Federal is what they recommend or did when I got mine, groups great so I never tried anything else
I do use federal, remmi's or winchester for my handguns never had good luck with the cheap stuff for them

R

·
0 Posts
i didn't say all cheap ammo is dirty i said a lot of it is and a lot of it is made so folks can hear a bang. i got that golden bear stuff for my first bush master. great stuff, if you want to keep the shot in a pie pan. this was out of the varminter barrel. switched to hornady and pulled it in to a nickle. you guys can keep running the stuff through your guns but i will be sticking with the better ammo

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I don't remember ever buying any cheap ammo, I don't burn up much ammo so most time its sighting in with whats going to be hunted with.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I don't remember ever buying any cheap ammo, I don't burn up much ammo so most time its sighting in with whats going to be hunted with.
Maybe that's the difference, a lot of people do burn off and waste a lot of ammo. It doesnt make sense to buy expensive stuff if you're just going to shoot it off.

Example: I dont shoot like I use to but years ago I wasted a lot of ammo just shooting my weapons to stay tuned-in to them.
Tuned into their sounds, their feel and the way they kicked, no need to shoot the expensive stuff for that kind of shooting.

Plus I use to do a lot of shooting at moving targets, tires swinging from tree branches worked best but man did I blow off a ton of ammo shooting like that...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lucky

it is nice to get lucky though.my savage loves rem softpts,i never had to use the noslers or hornadies i bought.

·
Registered
824 Posts
"My .270 Ruger shoots Remington 130gr. PSP core lokt's better than anything else, I think those might be about the cheapest .270 rounds on the market."

Remington Core-Lokts have proven themselves (to me) over many years of hunting. They're a lot less expensive than most other rounds out there while maintaining the consistency that shooters/hunters are looking for in a hunting round. I've used both 130 & 150 grain in .270 Win for deer here in Tx. Both are proven rounds, but I think I'll stick to the 130 grain in the future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
check cheaper than dirt or Mid south shooters supply.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts