Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, im trying to get into whitetail hunting right now and am choosing what calliber would be best for me. I was hoping that you guys could help me out with this. I am a 14 year old male and about 170-180 pounds. i have shot guns before but only small ones like .22lr and .17hmr (and 9mm glock pistols) i shot all of these without being able to feel any real kick but now that i want to get a deer hunting rifle im going to need somthing alot bigger than those and was wondering if i should play it safe and go with a 243 or if you think i'll be big enough for a 270 or 30-06 this is important because i want to be able to make the shot with out geting injured in some way shape or form by a gun that is to big for me. one uncle says to go with a 243 and the other is confident that ill be just fine with a 270 or 30-06. can you give me your input on the subject? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
773 Posts
my son is 12 and 110 lbs and does great with his 270 with 135 grain remington cor-locks shells. he was shooting a 243 in a youth rossi but realy with the short barrel in the youth model it kicked three times harder than my 270

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
im going to have to say .270. i think the 30-06 might me a little bit much, and the .270 will kill a deer just as dead. the .243 will kill deer to, but the .270 will give you a little more room for error.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My vote also goes to the .270. At your age, it may be a good thing to buy a rifle & cartridge you can grow with and not have to worry about moving "up" again at some point. As already mentioned, I'd look to standard 130gr loads as a good starting point. if they seem a bit tough on your shoulder, have a look/try with a reduced recoil load such as the one Remington makes and it will give you power to harvest at 200 yards and only 1/2 the typical recoil of a .270. Practice with the reduced recoil and hunt with them or full power as you'll never feel recoil in the woods anyway. (be sure to check zero, if switching)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:thumbup: A thanks to all of you, this has really helped me. im going to go ahead and get a 270. maybe you guys could help me pick here are the guns im looking at fell free to give me some suggestions on some differnent guns to my budget is $375 for a gun with no scope give or take a few bucks (also can you suggest a scope if the rifle doesnt come with one? i want one for under $125 or so) and for a gun that comes with a scope my budget is up around $475 these are the guns im currently looking at:
Mossberg® 100ATR® .270 WIN Rifle | Bass Pro Shops

Savage 111 FCXP3 .270 WIN Rifle with Scope | Bass Pro Shops
thanks in advance,
jaden

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have the Savage 111 in .270 with a scope. It has served me well for several seasons now. I use Core-Lokt 130 or 150 grain bullets. Core-Lokt's haven't let me down yet.

My youngest son just turned 16 and he fired the Savage last year with no problems. But he wants to use the .30/30 this year.

Let us know which one you choose, either one will do you nicely.

Good luck and good hunting.

RR

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
my sugestion is spend less on the gun, and more on the scope. iv never lost the chance to shoot a deer because of an inxpencive gun. i have however lost the opritunity to shoot cause a cheep scope failed.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have the mossburg 270 n I actualy realy like it, I agree with the others though, I would rather have a 100 dollar gun with a 500 scope than vice versa, I would also look at the used gun market, times are hard right now for a lot of people, you let enough people know your looking for one and you shouldnt have no trouble finding a great deal on a nice used setup.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Marlin xl7 recommendation

If you are comparing the rifles at a gunshop, add the Marlin XL7 onto your list. The rifle is found onsale for 299.xx, a Redfield Revolution 2x7 will cost you another 150.xx, rings about 25.xx. This is the package a buddy just put together for his brother-in-law and it turned out great. You will depending on your State have to add in sales tax unless you buy the scope and rings online. You will find that rifles will last you a lifetime. They aren't like cars that rust out(if you keep them wiped off), and you will never wear out a barrel in the normal Deer hunting calibers. A rifle you buy today will still be there to give to your Grandson/Granddaughter in 50-60 years.

Karl

·
Registered
80 Posts
im 5'4" 140lbs and i shoot a savage in .270 you'll do just fine with that caliber, as for buying new, i agree that you'll get yourself a better deal to find a used gun, more than likely itll be a nicer set up than the one you could afford new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
All of my friends shoot big rifles either 30.06, .270, one even shoots a 7mag. I swear by my .243 that I got when I was 16. I have dropped deer at 200-300 yards with it. I have never had to trail a deer because of the smaller caliber. At most they run 10 yards and keel over. Also make sure you get composite. I hate my .270 because even though it looks sweet with its shiny wood finish the damn thing weighs a ton. All my Rifles are Browning. I just dont think you can buy a better gun. Well other than my winchester pigeon grade over and under 20 gauge but this is the rifle section.

Like everyone says its all about the scope. I just got a new Swarovski scope to replace my 15 year old Leupold and was able to take out a beer can at 250 yards with only 1 shot. Im actually thinking about scaling down to an even smaller caliber and using my Wilson Combat AR-15. But I have to use subsonic ammo because of the silencer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
How about a 7mm-08

Everyone is correct in saying that you will be able to handle a 270 Win shooting 130gr loads. But, if you are at all concerned about recoil you may want to consider getting a 7mm-08. It is just a 308 Win necked down to 7mm. Alot of people are considering it the NEW starter round of choice. It hits harder than a 243 Win on Deer but it doesn't kick very hard. It is also offered in short action rifles that will be 1/2 to 3/4 inch shorter and a little lighter. I have not owned one yet but I did shoot a couple and they don't kick very hard firing 140gr loads.

Karl

·
Registered
44 Posts
i'm going to have to go on the opposite side of everyone else and say that you might as well try a higher caliber and see if its too much to handle. i understand you're 14 but you also said you're almost 180. i got my first deer, a doe, when i was in 8th grade with a .308. i got my first buck when i was sixteen with a .308 as well. i only weigh 160 now. i was probably 145 when i got my buck and only around 110 when i got my doe. its all on what you can handle

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
shooting with to big of a gun, will teach you bad shooting habits. and there is absolutly no reason a .270 could not get the job done. no need to step up to the 30-06 right away. im 29, 5'11", and 220lbs. and i still hunt with a .270. should i hunt with a 45-70 just because i can?

·
Registered
986 Posts
All of my friends shoot big rifles either 30.06, .270, one even shoots a 7mag. I swear by my .243 that I got when I was 16. I have dropped deer at 200-300 yards with it. I have never had to trail a deer because of the smaller caliber. At most they run 10 yards and keel over. Also make sure you get composite. I hate my .270 because even though it looks sweet with its shiny wood finish the damn thing weighs a ton. All my Rifles are Browning. I just dont think you can buy a better gun. Well other than my winchester pigeon grade over and under 20 gauge but this is the rifle section.

Like everyone says its all about the scope. I just got a new Swarovski scope to replace my 15 year old Leupold and was able to take out a beer can at 250 yards with only 1 shot. Im actually thinking about scaling down to an even smaller caliber and using my Wilson Combat AR-15. But I have to use subsonic ammo because of the silencer.
"Also make sure you get composite. I hate my .270 because even though it looks sweet with its shiny wood finish the damn thing weighs a ton.">>>> just remember with a composite stock you will get a lighter gun,but with a lighter gun you will have more felt recoil.Be sure when you sacrifice one thing for another you know what your getting into.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.