Deer Hunting Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
No shortage of power on your scope..

I would recommend something in the 2.5x8, 3x9, or 3.5x10 power range if you like to shoot regularly over 150 yards. Your temporary scope is a lot of weight and bulk that effects the balance of your new Savage. I think the high power scopes have a place, for example on prairie dog towns or long range shoots. I just think they mess up a Deer/Elk rifle.

Karl

Nice shooting with the new rifle...

Congrats on that new rifle. You might want to check out the Limbsaver recoil pad. I have them on all my rifles and they are great. They even tame the magnums. Now for the scope. Please take everone's advice and get the very best you can afford. Good luck with your new rig!

Listen to onehorse and purchase the very best scope you can. You will never regret your money spent on good glass. In today's market a nice scope will set you back $250.00-$400.00. I too agree with the 3X9X40 as still the most used scope out there and will allow the low mount rings to be used and keep your sight picture/head on the stock the best. I strongly advise against using see through sights trying to utalize the factory barrel sights and a very high scope mounts, it will never feel right everytime you shoot it. Also, anything up close can be shot on the scope's low power setting anyway.

I go with Hunting Man's suggestion of the 3X9X40 all the way. Here's another tip based on my experience with variables: If you have a variable and hunt in COLD temps, you might consider getting a scope that has some sort of pin, or knob, or post, or some sort of projection sticking up from the power adjustment ring. When these things get really cold, they don't want to turn as readily as when it is warm, and when you throw some gloves or mittens into the mix, it can get difficult trying to adjust your scope's power especially if you have to do it quickly!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.