Deer Hunting Forums banner

best 30-06 around $800.

11K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  onehorse 
Hunting Man has pretty much said it all. We all have our personal favorites, but for the amount of money you are willing to spend, you have lots of choices for a really good "shooter", and Hunting Man has pretty much listed them all. Take the advice of NOT trying to save on a scope - get the best you can afford. If you don't, you will be sorry.

A few more thoughts on your questiom: The caliber that you are interested in getting (30/06) is excellent. Accurate, powerful and ammunition readily available and at reasonable prices. Some of the newer magnum ammo costs around $50 a box - if you can get it. As for rifle action, most guys still use the bolt because of its inherent accuracy; it can also be had in some pretty light weight models as opposed to the other actions which are usually heavier to carry. All the brands that HM recommended are time-tested and great guns. I've owned at least one of all of them over the years, but mostly lots of Rugers and Remingtons. I think the Rugers and Tikkas are especially good values because they come with scope rings which can save you about $50. I've only owned (still do) one Tikka, and it out-shoots the Rugers by far. My Remigntons have been very accurate as well, but the Tikka has a slight edge on these too. Of course, I'm a handloader and that can make a big difference in what I get out of my rifles. I think Ronn once answered this same question a while back, and suggested getting the rifle that feels right to you, and I heartily endorse that suggestion. Good luck and good shooting.

I would suggest that you also ask to try the trigger on the rifles that make it to your short list. One may just feel perfect where another may have a trigger that you just don't like.

This is great advice that people often overlook as the trigger pull and proper bedding are the most important factors to rifle accuracy. I've spent lots of money on great rifles that still need after-market triggers to acheive their accuracy potential. Of all my rifles, Tikka has the best out of the box trigger pull - it's even better than the after-market ones.

Congrats on that new rifle. You might want to check out the Limbsaver recoil pad. I have them on all my rifles and they are great. They even tame the magnums. Now for the scope. Please take everone's advice and get the very best you can afford. Good luck with your new rig!

I go with Hunting Man's suggestion of the 3X9X40 all the way. Here's another tip based on my experience with variables: If you have a variable and hunt in COLD temps, you might consider getting a scope that has some sort of pin, or knob, or post, or some sort of projection sticking up from the power adjustment ring. When these things get really cold, they don't want to turn as readily as when it is warm, and when you throw some gloves or mittens into the mix, it can get difficult trying to adjust your scope's power especially if you have to do it quickly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.