Deer Hunting Forums banner

best 30-06 around $800.

11K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  onehorse 
Go with what feels right..

It has been said already but you can't put a word or really discribe it but when a rifle feels good to you it just does. Go where there is a selection and just try some. I bet that you will quickly say I like 1 or 2 over the others. Picking a 3006 gives you the most options for factory ammo, and if a store sells ammo they sell 3006. I would suggest that you also ask to try the trigger on the rifles that make it to your short list. One may just feel perfect where another may have a trigger that you just don't like. You may want to think about your selection for a couple of days and again compare them prior to buying one. Remember you are selecting a special friend that you will have for along time.

Karl

Pls update us to what you choose...

Part of the fun on this forum is reading what a member decided after all of us throw out our 2 cents. Please let us know which you liked and why you decided at the end to pick a over b. Remember sales people all have opinions, don't feel bad if for example YOU like the Remington over maybe the Browning. The sales person might have had some bad luck with Remington. I always push for more specifics if a sales person doesn't like a particular manufacturer. Maybe their brother or dad had a rifle from that manufacturer that had a bad barrel or other issue. Any manufacturer can have a rifle slip through QA without getting flagged. I would just keep telling myself that the rifles made today are better in many ways over those made even 20 years ago. You are prepared to spend a lot of money on a quality rifle. Those companies want you to choose their rifle and are working hard to get your business.

Karl

No shortage of power on your scope..

I would recommend something in the 2.5x8, 3x9, or 3.5x10 power range if you like to shoot regularly over 150 yards. Your temporary scope is a lot of weight and bulk that effects the balance of your new Savage. I think the high power scopes have a place, for example on prairie dog towns or long range shoots. I just think they mess up a Deer/Elk rifle.

Karl

Nice shooting with the new rifle...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.