Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. So here it is. I was at cabelas. And I have always been interested in bows. Only tryd shooting a few. And I sucked terrably. But I was at cabelas playing with a few. And I could not even pull it back. Maybe I'm being a sissy. Or is there a reason there so tight? Can it just be adjusted. Or should I grow a pair? I'm not a little guy. I have been vary athletic my whole life. But this bow was kicking my tail.

G

·
its training the muscles. i've seen big ole meat sticks struggle. your muscles will learn quickly. start light and work up so you don't hurt yourself. not to mention stores will tie the bow down so they can't be drawn. if you dry fire a bow it can and will blow up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha. I feel a little better. I was thinking what the crap man. I know I can do this I have before. I have a lot of respect for bow hunters. Iv seen my friend hold at full draw for like a min and a half. That's tough.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
olsick7 he may not be that tough.. Most bows have a decent leftoff. Which by that I mean once your bow is pulled back almost all the way you get to a leftoff point. Which is usually at least 75% of whatever the bow poundage is set at.

For example: A 70 lb pull with a 75% left off would only be 17.5 lbs that the guy is holding back at full draw.

It is different muscles. Thats why you will hear us preaching that you need to shoot it everyday. To help build those muscles up.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh wow. Is that just on a compound that it has the relief? I eventually want to get a bow. Like I said I have always been interested in them and I like shooting. But I'm terrable. Ha ha but practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The other thing is no one needs to shoot those heavy #'s. I never considered myself a wimp either but I shoot 58 lbs, thats it. You need to purchase a bow that you can comfortably draw in a smoothe pull and not shake when holding it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats good advise. its alot like rifles then. dont shoot something your not comfertable with. i have shot a few rifles that make me flinch. and pull shot instead of a nice squeeze.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think it has more to do with how you draw the bow. For me, I keep the left arm straight, point the bow down, draw back with my right shoulder muscles and it goes smooth with 70lbs. It used to be difficult to draw but I learned how to do it best for me. I don't get to practice very much but I can still draw it smooth so I am of the opinion that technique has much to do with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just got a bow a couple of weeks ago, and at first I couldn't even pull it back, but after a week of just pulling at it I can finally get it back. And also what was the pull back weight on the bow you tried

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not to sure about the pull weight of the bows I was playing with. But once I get some money up I think I'll buy one. I don't want an expensive one. For the fact that if I don't like it as much as planned I'm not out a lot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts