Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a flood last Monday and Tuesday. I woke up to a little water in the basement. Got mad and decided to do something about it. Went a rented a bobcat and had some gravel delivered. Started tearing up stuff right away. Didnt care that it was raining because I had a tracked Bob Cat that you cant get stuck. (well very difficult to anyway) My driveway was way higher than my basement floor. Dug it out Tues evening and night. Went back Wed morning, shot through the level, dug a little more and then brought the gravel in. Thanks to the wife and her sister for moving 8 ricks of wood out of the driveway so I could start this project right away.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Nothing like doing it yourself! Been down that road w/the wet basement. That's one thing that makes you sick your stomach! But I had to do the sump pump bit and drain tile, and jackhammering (of course I left all that to the professionals),,, but the bill wasn't funny..

·
Administrator
5,711 Posts
Hopefully the work you've done will take care of the problem..

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it will take care of a lot of it. (50%) The water comes in through the garage door and basement door itself on a normal heavy rain. It doesnt come in alot but a little on the floor. When we have a flood it comes in heavy at the doors and also gets under the concrete floor.

I have a little hole in the center of my floor. I know my basement is going to flood when this hole fills up with water. Its basically like Im sitting on a lake.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
That's where all my water was coming from,, we live in a tri-level home, well actually there are 4 floors, the basement, the ground level, the main level, and then the bedroom upstairs level. Got about 2,300 sq. ft of space. When they poured the foundation for the basement walls, on the north end of our house where the stairs are, they poured the foundation shorter than the rest of the basement. The reason behind this, I was told, was so they could get their forms out after the cement dried. Well the only problem is, this wall is only about 4 ft. high and ground level is still another 4 ft. up! So they blocked it in and used mortar mix. Well I guess this worked fine for a few years, but of course when we bought it, and Missouri has had a TON of rain the past 3 years, (which is how long we've owned the house) the rain has been so great that it's seeping in through the cracks in the mortar of these blocks. It's litteralyl coming underneath our house and seeping into the basement! We had a group out of my home town come in and fix us up. They did a Great job, but like I said, EXPENSIVE! I'm just glad we only had to do one wall of the basement and not the WHOLE basement. Water problem solved...

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have no water coming in the blocks as of yet. And its only got so bad that the little hole in the floor has filled up twice in 3 years.

Thats why I was thinking the driveway would take care of alot of the problem.. All the water that was hitting the driveway was flowing down toward the basement.. I was guessing that what water sunk in the ground was still flowing under the basement plus the water on top of the ground was just flowing straight in the door.

I still have some gutters to hook up to corrugated pipe to get all the roof water farther away from the house as well. Since it has only flooded twice in 3 years (gotten under the house) I am thinking if I fix the driveway water that flows toward the basement and get all my roof water away from the house I should be good from now on.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well had to rent the bobcat again to get rid of the dirt piles I created from digging up the driveway.

Was gonna give it to my bro in law on a dump trailer but the trailer weight plus the wet grass at his house made it not worth the trouble. He took one load. I just leveled out the rest on a spot I dug to bury a bunch of block that the previous owners just decided to dump inside the fence.

Spent all day on a bobcat instead of being in the woods. Heard alot of shooting going on around me all day as well.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Looks like you got the water going the right way now ...buck

I took this weekend to buff the yard at the farm and at my house
Are Christmas slug hunt is next weekend the deer needed a rest

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.