Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we all like bargains myself included but i would like to add a gun is the last thing made on earth if taken care of that can last of lifetime.some of these bargain rifles horrible triggers,rough cut stocks,bad actions etc arent the bargains they appear to be.if u pay a little more a better gun will give you a lifetime of enjoyment and can be handed down.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i agree spiker but one thing the world is guilty of is we became a throw away world nothing is made to last any more so bargains are good but you get what you pay for

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree on the bargains and you get what you pay for but i haven't seen any of those bargain basement guns you are refering to in a long time. Most guns made today, even the "cheap ones" are pretty good quality. Care to elaborate on this? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont think theses cheap rifle packages from remington,savage and the like are worth it.most have terrible triggers,actions and the glass they come with leave alot to be desired.the prices of guns does not bother me they last you a lifetime.in my opinion your better off buying a quality rifle that will last you a lifetime.these manufacturers offer better products at slightly higher prices and its worth every penny.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
In order for gun makers to stay competitive they have to offer lower end products which are usually their top sellers due to the cost vs populace purchasing powers/budgets. I enjoy the older 1940-50-60's guns as most used high quality steel and walnut. Guns today, other than high end models are pretty generic and are of lower standards than similar rifles made +30 years ago. For instance, the 1948 Sav and the pre 64 Win 88 I'm bidding on are in the 900.00 range for guns that are 50-60 years old, why? Because the quality is there and there is collector interest from buyers. No question the many gun makers are producing guns which are of questionable quality for $ spent. I too think guns should be made to last several lifetimes at least. I think you get that in high end models and those of yesteryear!

·
Registered
168 Posts
One reason i asked, I bought a Savage .243 model 110 over 18 years ago. It was then, and still is one of the least expensive guns you can buy. No it doesn't have a slick as silk action but it is the best gun I own. Why? It is very accurate and very dependable. My dad owns a weatherby worth over $3500, is it a better gun? Only if you like pretty stocks and ultra smooth actions. To me its a waste of money! I pretty stock gets beat up just like an ugly one and when your adrenaline is pumping nobody notices how smooth the action is. High end guns are for investments not hunting, kind of like an original Shelby cobra, it just sits in the garage because if you drive it, it looses value. Now having said all that, the Weatherby is a great looking gun and I've told my Dad that when he dies it is the only thing I care about getting passed on to me.(by the way my dad would never have bought it except he got it for less than a $1000)

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Only 1 of my guns doesn't see action, my Dad's browning SXS. It's never been fired and was his retirement gift from his employer. I do enjoy hunting/shooting even the pretty ones. :yes: I do try to be careful but they're for hunting and will get a scratch or too over the years.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my point isnt that you have to spend a 1000 or more its just some of these guns are suspect.i own two savages 116s they are my workhorses and shoot great,however you couldnt give me a savage without the accutrigger.i think the tikka t3 is a great bargain.i think its worth a little more money to get a gun your truly happy with.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you have to save a little to get the gun you will love do it. I'm currently looking/ saving / waiting for a rifle that will be my rifle for years to come. Better to have one you love than to one that you like.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
It took me 10 years to fill my two dream rifles. Just today I won the pre-64 Win model 88 in 308 cal. My gun purchasing is now on hold till next year or longer, who knows. Like I said before, it's like collecting old cars, you just have to want a particular model/brand then save up and get it. I'm pretty pumped right now, I've wanted that Sav 99 in 250-300 cal and a Win 88 for a looooog time and it happened! I'll post a picture when I get back from PA around the 15th next month.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
The two new/old ones will be resting as I will be archery hunting in PA. They won't be vault queens and will be hunted with at some point. I 'm not too hard on guns when hunting with them. I try to keep damage to a minimum.

·
Registered
824 Posts
"They won't be vault queens and will be hunted with at some point."

I try to rotate the rifles I hunt with during any given season. With the variety of calibers I have, it may be several years before getting back to using the same rifles used during last season. All I can do in between is to take each of them out a couple times a year to ensure the elements aren't winning the constant battle to maintain them.

I do find it interesting to observe the effects that each of the different rifle/bullet combinations have when hunting. Of course, shot placement has a lot to do with that effect. Last year's shot placement must have been on target - the deer taking at most 3 or 4 steps before dropping. Other years, I've had to go chase a deer a good 75 to 100 yards before finding him/her -- only to find during field dressing that there was a bullet hole right through the center of the heart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.