Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my problem. Iv been hunting this area with my friend (the owner) and everythings been going fine. But his brother-in-law found out and wants to go with us. This normally wouldnt be a problem BUT we are using his feeder and he built the blind, so I feel obligated to let him go with us. Now heres the kicker. Casey (the brother-in-law) is very impatient, cant sit still or be quiet, and is exceedingly unsafe to hunt with. I mean I am actually afraid for my life hunting with this guy. So what do I do? He is a good friend but a horrible hunter. Help me out here guys, any of you had hunting partners like this?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i would explain to the owner your feelings about safety.ifor one dont want to get shot by some idiot for a deer

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
yeah thats a tough situation. If you said something you may make them mad enough to tell you that you cant hunt it anymore. If hes that impatient maybe he will give up hunting soon. Hopefully he can be taught what he is doing wrong. Until then set up 122002030 miles from him so you dont get shot. Like joel said it aint worth getting shot.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Safety first, tell them straight out and the worst is you lose out on a hunting spot and maybe friends. BUT YOU LIVE FOR ANOTHER DAY FOR ANOTHER SPOT TO MAKE OTHER FRIENDS. Life's full of risks as it is don't make a season of deer hunting be an unnecessary risk. Remember you said that you fear for your life when you hunt with him.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea this guys a good friend Iv known him a long time, just not the smartest guy you'll ever come across. He and the owner of the place were huntin and after like 3-4 hours of waiting and not seeing anything a armadillo came across them and he shot it, wasted the whole morning. When the owner asked hime why he shot it he replied "they tear up peoples yards" and they were about 15 miles from the nearest house. I got lucky this weekend, his wife wouldnt let him go so I didnt have to dodge that bullet (no pun intended). Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Iv had it with this guy. I went out there the other day and when i got there the feeder was gone. aparently it has been gone for a while because theres not a track on the property within a mile of the stand. i havent been ther for over a week because iv been sick and all. he didnt even tell the owner or me! we (the owner and i) had permision to use the stand and feeder so he could have at least told someone, hell the ownere didnt even know! he just took it without saying a word with like 3 weeks left in the season!
aparently he was mad because the owner was using his gun that he keept at the owners house. hell i figure if ur hunting someone property (for free) and storing you gun/equipment at thier house the least you could do is let them use ur gun. he cant take care of his gun anyway, the owner has fixed it countles times. but iv washed my hands of this hunting disaster. my sister has several acres of great hunting grounds, half the driving time too! i just got the ok to hunt there because they were leting some friends hunt it but they got thier limit already so its all mine!! thanks for leting me vent, this is much better than killing the guy like i wanted to at first.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
like the old saying"God never closes a door without opening a window" looks like your better off.besides its hard to deer hunt from the "big house"

·
Registered
221 Posts
um...id be scared also maby take him to the shootin targets and hsve a moving deerdecoy if he shoots it walk up and explain to him why you are afraid or dont wwont to hunt with him if hes a real friend he ll understand (lol He ll sit under the stand jk) but he'll understand and if hes a real friend he might say he'lL work on it or you might lose a huntin buddy but once 'gain if hes a real friend you wont lose just a buddy

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i think you gave him enough chances any one whos that petty and unsafe you dont need around.i would also try to stay friends with the property owner and explain the situation and that it was the other guy and not you and you had nothing to do with it.i dont know if you pay to hunt or its a friendly arrangement but i would make sure hes not soured against hunters.maybe offer to help or something.even though you have another spot its still a good idea:thumbup:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea the land owner and i are still good friends, we already plan to do some work on his land after the season ends but casey wont be alowed to use it. the land owner is prety much done with him coming out there but i have free access to both spots.

·
Registered
4 Posts
or u could explain to him what he is doing wrong and teach him the rite way ..u mean to tell me that all great hunters just start out great . or do you work ur way up to that big ol monster teach him ..dont put him on the way side if some one wants to to be in the outdoors then take him and teach him the basics and the sportsmanship of the hunt then go from there because not every hunter thinks of every hunting trip as a learning exp...because the first time i went hunting i was thinkin u go in the woods kill a deer then leave but it is about so much more.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
or u could explain to him what he is doing wrong and teach him the rite way ..u mean to tell me that all great hunters just start out great . or do you work ur way up to that big ol monster teach him ..dont put him on the way side if some one wants to to be in the outdoors then take him and teach him the basics and the sportsmanship of the hunt then go from there because not every hunter thinks of every hunting trip as a learning exp...because the first time i went hunting i was thinkin u go in the woods kill a deer then leave but it is about so much more.
have you read the whole topic?the guy has no respect and is dangerous.while the point your making is a valid one i don't believe it applies in this case

·
Registered
790 Posts
Safety first, tell them straight out and the worst is you lose out on a hunting spot and maybe friends. BUT YOU LIVE FOR ANOTHER DAY FOR ANOTHER SPOT TO MAKE OTHER FRIENDS. Life's full of risks as it is don't make a season of deer hunting be an unnecessary risk. Remember you said that you fear for your life when you hunt with him.
Timberghost is on the money! With time on your side now find another property for yourself. Hunting is for your enjoyment not for the stress or worse. State your feelings clearly with no flowers and move on. In the long run you will be glad you did.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
agreed.............

G

·
First of all I don't think one NEEDS a hunting partner, sometimes its better by your onesies. But I really understand the pleasure one gets form a hunting buddy. I for years had a guy that we were like me and mini me. If we were put in different entries in woods strange to us we would follow the sign and end up in the same place. Its has happen before. He got side tracked by other things and my goals in hunting changed. Fortunately I think I've found another hunter that shares the same style and goals in the woods, although we don't hunt together. Bottom line hunting, like everything else in life, should be fun. If its not its time to move forward not just on. Life shouldn't be complacent, it should progress. The same is true for hunting. So my advise is cut the times and strive for better and higher goals. Make it happen for yourself.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
:goodposting:Solid advice ronn

·
Registered
798 Posts
Good hunting partners are precious. I lost my best "bud" almost 40 years ago :sad:, and have never been able to replace him. It's been lonely, at times, but each hunting season, I think, just maybe, he still is walking right beside me like in the past.

·
Registered
790 Posts
One horse I'm sure he is. As Uncle Ted says the spirit of the wild runs deep. No way would your buddy let you hoof it alone.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Without my hunting buddies I would have hung up the boots a long time ago. I lost my brother a few years ago, we put his ashes in a mountain steam that runs through the area we hunt. There are times when I know he is still there, kinda weird, but no question he's still walking the path! I have been blessed by having several great friends who are great hunters, that's enough for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts