Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for decent carbon arrows. Any suggestions? not too expensive now...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
arrows need to be matched to the bow speed and draw length and poundage.I would go to a pro shop.go to eastons archery , they have a chart. take one look at the chart and you'll understand why i say go to the pro shop.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm Just curious here, Why not Aluminum Arrows?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive just shot carbons for awhile and have gotten acustom to them. I use to shoot aluminums a few years ago and i thinnk i like carbon results better.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
that's cool I was just wondering. AND your reason may be good input for someone else who's trying to decide which to use also

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
After many years of shooting aluminum, I now shoot Easton Axis St 400 camo arrows with 2" plastic vanes. They are a 9.8 gpi arrow and are a bit pricey if you don't make up your own. I think Cabelas' charge around $125/doz cut. There is a glue kit for the inserts that you do, which is nice to be able to line up the broadheads as you glue them in. Throw on some 3 blade Muzzy 100's and it makes for a high tech killing machine. Or hide glue on a stone point to a cedar arrow and go low tech. I think carbon has some advantages over aluminum especially for the very high speed bows of today!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Easton Full Metal Jackets have a carbon core and a aluminum outer shell. They are pricey. If you have all the stuff to do your own they are great arrows.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have shot Easton ACC arrows for years always had good results. I shoot a Matthews bow at 70 lbs and the ACC has plenty of spine. They are tough two back when I shot aluminum it was one shot hit or miss and the arrow was waisted. I have taken two deer with the same arrow with the carbon which was unthinkable with alum.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I shoot an older model Z-lite but it still shoots well and thumps them hard so I see no reason to change. I have thought about reducing the poundage, I'm not sure there is much difference in 60 and 70 pounds and it would take a lot of pressure off the shoulder.

I would have already done it but I am hesitant to change anything that works. I have shot the same bow, arrows and broad heads for a long time.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I hear ya, when things are automatic you hate to make changes. I hope my upcoming surgery doesn't alter my bow set-up. I'm like you my bow is like a good fitting glove.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
a lot of the guys around here are switching to crossbows now that they are legal in TN. Do they allow them in OH?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Yes. I still have a few mixed emotions regarding the crossbow issue, but its legal and thats that. The price on crossbows have went way up as states make them legal. I really don't think they have a huge advantage over a good fast compound, yet. I had a Horton Hunter a few years back and sold it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts