Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had Hill Country Rifles start working on a custom built 7mm. Rem. Mag. for me, and I was a little suprised to find that the majority of their custom rifles are built with a 24" barrel....standard AND magnum.

I guess from a SHOOTERS perspective, something like a 26" barrel would be better simply for getting max velocity when running through a chrono.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Didn't Weatherby like long barrels?

I seem to remember that Roy Weatherby always spec-ed long barrels his rifles. I think that they were 26 inch, he wanted all the velocity he could get.

Karl

·
Registered
798 Posts
I've noticed that many of the gun makers are going to longer barrels - 26 inchers. If velocity is the most important thing for you, then a longer barrel is the way to go, however, longer barrels DO have drawbacks. They are more difficult to maneuver in tight areas with thick brush and somewhat easier to poke into the ground or snow. For me, the most important thing is accuracy, and, in my experience, longer barrels do not shoot any more accurately than shorter ones. Some folks think that shorter barrels are more rigid and, therefor, more accurate. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much sense in getting a magnum and then effectively diminishing its velocity edge by lopping the barrel off - especially if you are going below 22-24 inches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts