Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to take the .243 win deer hunting this season and i was wondering what performance you guys have gotten out of it for whitetail.

Could you compare it the performance of say a 308 win or a 30-06?

bullets used would be either Winchester or Remington 100 grain core-lokts or power points

THANKS!

Blackbird

G

·
its to hard to compare the 243 to the others. they all have different qualities. i can say the 243 is a fine round for deer. my son has taken both his deer with one. i would like to say add hornady 243 light mags in 100 gr to your list of possible ammo choices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i didnt mean that i guess, what i meant to say is that does it kill as fast w/ a lung shot?
my reasoning is that i dont want to be chasing it all day..

blackbird

·
Registered
798 Posts
This type of question comes up all the time. It's a good question. The most important element of killing an animal humanely is bullet placement and bullet construction. The .243 is perfectly adequate for deer if these two factors are present. To illustrate: I was a taxidermist for 25 years, and during that time the largest bull elk that ever I mounted was killed by a 16 year old with a .243 using Barnes bullets. Although I wouldn't recommend this caliber for elk, this bull was shot in the heart and dropped in its tracks. I've seen deer shot through the lungs with a .243 that dropped just as fast. The heavier calibers give a little "cushion" if the shot happens to be a little off for whatever reason, but they really don't kill any faster or any "deader" under the right conditions. The .243 may actually be a better choice for a young person or someone who is not used to heavier recoil as this relatively light load will not result in the shooter developing a flinch. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Well stated onehorse, I shot my first buck with a 243 it went only two steps after the shot. I consider that excellant bullet performance. Shot placement is the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do you consider key shot placement as a heart shot? or is lung shot and high lung shot included?

what happens when the sholder is hit?

THANKS!!

Blackbird

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
heart shot perfect, double lung very good short tracking, high shoulder shot with a 243 not great and (could) be a lost animal. The 30 cal bullets do gain the edge for hitting bone and creating better damage after that. The 243 being lighter faster tend to deflect off bone or not penitrate as well as a 30 cal. I still consider the 243 a good deer caliber. If I was going after 300 lb Canadian monster bucks I would want a bit more bullet than the 243. But like onehorse said about that elk taken with a 243 it can be done but not the best choise. For me the 243 is the starting point for deer calibers. I would highly consider a 243 for a wife and a new youth hunter or one of us that don't need the kick of the big guns anymore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
heart shot perfect, double lung very good short tracking, high shoulder shot with a 243 not great and (could) be a lost animal. The 30 cal bullets do gain the edge for hitting bone and creating better damage after that. The 243 being lighter faster tend to deflect off bone or not penitrate as well as a 30 cal. I still consider the 243 a good deer caliber. If I was going after 300 lb Canadian monster bucks I would want a bit more bullet than the 243. But like onehorse said about that elk taken with a 243 it can be done but not the best choise. For me the 243 is the starting point for deer calibers. I would highly consider a 243 for a wife and a new youth hunter or one of us that don't need the kick of the big guns anymore.
exactly what i was looking for, thanks guys!!!!!

Blackbird

·
Registered
798 Posts
Blackbird, just about everyone has their opinion on bullet placement. After killing around a hundred big game animals over the years, here's mine. I prefer the high lung shot when I have a broadside. That shot will deliver a lot of damage - shock and bleeding. Usually, this shot drops game in its tracks and it also offers the best results if the shot is a little off the mark. If the bullet happens to strike a little high, the spine will be broken and the animal will go down like it was hit by a Greyhound bus. A little low will hit the heart = dead animal. A little forward will break a shoulder or two, and animals with broken shoulders don't go very far. If the bullet hits a little to the rear, the liver will be struck and the animal will bleed out very quickly. I once had the best of all situations when because of the particular shot angle, I hit the lungs, liver and spine of a buck antelope. This animal. like most high lung shots collpased like a marionette whose strings had just been snipped!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
onehorse, would you recommend a 100 grain partition for a shoulder shot or just a plain old 100 grian core-lokt?

just trying to expand my shot angles..

blackbird

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
not being onehorse, I would steer away from a double or high shoulder shot with a 243, I would much rather see a solid double lung broadside shot or heart shot. Why go into the heavier bone and wasted meat area? I'm not sure that I understand the reason for the specific shot question.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not being onehorse, I would steer away from a double or high shoulder shot with a 243, I would much rather see a solid double lung broadside shot or heart shot. Why go into the heavier bone and wasted meat area? I'm not sure that I understand the reason for the specific shot question.

Im just looking at what shots to take when available and what not to take. now i know :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
A .243 (in my opinion) is a great deer rifle for areas with less brush and trees (basically more 'cleared out') It can get the job done, but a 30.06 would be better for a little more brush, as it has more power and a larger bullet

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
with a 243 I don't think you're going to break both shoulders consistently, maybe on smaller deer. I personally would stay away from shoulder shots with this caliber. Just stick with double lung or heart and things will be good. No question with 30 cals you can break them down and be confident of that shot. just my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts