Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone had any recipes for a good homemade deer bait. I am new to hunting and just want to get em in a little closer...Thanks

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hello from Ohio. Homemade, about the only thing I can think of would be a mixture of red trace mineral salt and blend in more liquid molassas. Red mineral salt is used in the farm animal industry and isn't very costly. Pour it over a stump or dig a hole in the ground and mix with dirt. Just know the law regarding baiting on this one. Good luck

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
molasses on a stump.baiting is illegal here in NY check your regs first or smokey the bear might pay ya a visit

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
If I revealed my secret recipe, It wouldn't be a secret anymore.
OH heck I'll tell ya, :unsure:
You have to be in the right spot at the right time, BUT don't let everybody know :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
peanut butter

i use peanut butter and a cooking oil that smells like apples and some salt , plus a real apples blend and mixes them up with everthing some guys up here where mixing corn and chocolate works very well.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
again check your regs book first.no deer is worth the embarrassment of getting arrested,losing your gear(gun,bow,car,truck etc..)paying fines ......get your boots on get a map scout the area bring back a report and we'll help ya

·
Registered
1 Posts
ya i got a good 1
get two cap fulls of worsestershire sauce
1 can of corn juice without the corn
1 can of apple juice use the corn can for measurment
and 3-4 spoons of peanut butter
stir and cook until it almost boils and refidgerate lasts about two weeks

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I put out some ground up roasted corn to day
A local farmer made to get rid of excess suppy
smells like peanut butter..

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Update...on the roasted corn
if you want to round up every coon in your woods...
roasted corn is what you need....

·
Registered
1 Posts
scent elimination from tree roots?????

Has anybody use this scent elimination from greenpredator.com, they say it's made from tree roots????? I want to try it, but I don't want to waste my money on another gimmick

·
Registered
773 Posts
a new jar of peanut butter. cut a half moon out of the bottom on a new plastic jar and nail to a tree. ( no need to remove the lid or the seal from the top) works well and if you go to a place like save-o-lot you can stock up on enough to cover your intire area realy cheap. works well and coons will be there too. put a trail cam on one I think you'll be suprised at all the criters you get pics of. and some times the other critters is what helps keep nervus deer calm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello from ohio first check your laws
you can try
mixing peanut butter, brown sugar and molasses to a consistency that is thin enough to drip in blobs off a spoon, but thick enough that it is not able to be poured. If weather permits, dig a shallow hole and pour the mixture into it to serve the deer.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
peanut butter,molasses,sugar ,ya trying to give these deer high cholesterol and heart disease?:shocking:stick to real food:no:

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks

i use peanut butter and a cooking oil that smells like apples and some salt , plus a real apples blend and mixes them up with everthing some guys up here

thanks for the bait I'am trying it in the morning I'am a new hunter i saw an eight point the other day I'am going to see if i can get it in closer.

:wink::

·
Registered
72 Posts
I havent had good luck with baits and bucks. Does are a different story. I read a few years back in a magazine where an ole boy got creative and at Christmas time, bought some plastic apples that were made to use as decorations and tied them in a tree, out of the deers reach. Then he would toss apples around the tree each time he left his stand. Supposedly the deer would consume the apples and come back by to see if the stubborn ones in the tree has dropped yet. I havent tried this but always wanted too. I know folks with gardens say the deer get into their peas and beans way before corn so a trip to the farmers market for a bushel basket might help. Again IMO mature bucks are cautious of un natural baits during daylight hours.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts