Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Lost my Dad to bad lungs from smoking. You really need to set your mind to it and do it for you and your family's welfare. Even after my Dad quit in 1987 his lungs never recovered like you read now a days. Hope you can find a way to quit.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Its tough.. Ive never smoked but still dip a can of Copenhagen a day.. I quit last year for awhile using that drug Chantix. (will never do that again)

Started back on a hunting trip where I spent several days at a cabin. Old habits die hard.

Sorry I cant give you good advice. Once I got it out of my head it was alot easier. Took about 3 weeks or so before I quit thinking about it. Still dont know why I started back.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
quit for my daughter 8yrs ago.i went on wellbutrin which helped with my cravings,i think the first 3 days are the toughest.mind over matter good luck

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Spiker I am in the same boat I have tried several times longest was a year & a half stupid of me to start back up seems to get harder each time
I was thinking of the Chantix 50/50 lot of people I have talked to some it worked others said worse then just quitting cold turkey
good Luck
the thing that helped me I thought was funny is V8 juice someone told me to drink it when I wanted a smoke so I did it was the longest period of time I had quit
I am about ready to start drinking V8 again
TIP: don't mix it w/ Vodka that makes you want oto smoke more

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I smoked for 26+ years, the thing that made me quit was in 2002 a doctor said I need to have a heart surgery, a single bypass due to an artery that was blocked.
Because I saw so many others go thru this surgery (father, mother, brothers) I decided if I ever needed to have it done I'd never smoke again and I never have, I never touched another cigarette after that moment when the Doctor said I was going under his knife...
I don't ever preach to smokers about why they shoud quit, there are way too many reasons to quit and each smoker knows the reasons.
What I will say is if you know you want to quit the best way is to just throw them away and don't light up another.
Sound easy? it is when you remember the Battle to quit is a lot easier then the battle to survive.

As a non smoker I feel much better and I know you will too...

Good Luck OhioHunter...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Personally, i do not smoke but I do remember in sixth grade my mother quit cold turkey on new years and has not touched one since. I wish you the best of luck do it for yourself as well as your family!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I'm embarassed to say, but yes I smoked for about 5 years. I know that's not as long as some people on here, but I quit for my wife when we got married. I didn't want to be that husband who ran outside and smoked every 45 minutes.

Here's how I did it, I limited myself everyday to only a certain number of cigarettes. If you normally smoke 20 a day (1 pack), the first day limit yourself to 15 a day. The next 14, the next 13, and so on. Sometimes I would have to double up on a day, like two days in a row w/10. I guess you could say my smoking wasn't that bad though. I only smoked about a half a pack a day. But I still had that urge for nicotine.

I've been off cigs for almost 6 years now. Now when I smell someone smoking, it makes me gag. Seriously!

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
anyone out there quit smoking, if so how bout some help here. I'm trying after 25+ years.
Do you have any family members, children, or certain people or person that wants you to quit? Any type of encouragement or motivation will certainly help. Just reading a few of these posts or seeing the damage that smoking does to your body, lungs especially, will help. How much money would you save by quitting? I have smoked just a little in the past (1-2 cigs per day) inbetween training spurts and realized just that small amount really messed my health up. I was in my early 20's and noticed my time was getting longer in terms of mileage, l wasn't able to spar at my scheduled length, etc. That was only 1-2 per day and I will never go back to that. In short, think positive health, and more money saved. If you finally succeed, the smell of cigs will make you sick after giving it up for awhile. I hope the best for you and Good Luck buddy.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I quit after smoking for 25 years. I think what helped me the most was identifying the times I would want one the most and get mentaly prepared for it before hand. After meals, everytime I got in the truck, when I would drink a beer and that first smoke of the day. I feal so much better not smoking it is totaly worth the agony of quiting.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Best of luck in quitting! I'm here to tell you that it can be done.

I started smoking when I was around 16, but was never a heavy smoker. To me, a bad day was a pack a day. Most of the time a pack of cigarettes would last for a couple of days. Being in the military certainly didn't help any. For a while I managed to cut down to only a couple a day, even managing to quit for several days or even weeks - until the next field problem came up. I was a platoon sergeant by this time and the other platoon sergeants started taking bets how long into the exercise I would get before starting smoking again.

Bottom line to this story is that I finally quit smoking over Labor Day weekend back in 2003 -- when I was supporting the 4th Infantry Division in Iraq. Yup, you CAN quit in a combat zone. I simply decided I'd had enough. By the time the weekend was over, I'd quit smoking and haven't picked one up since.

Now the weekend itself wasn't exactly a walk in the park and it would take a small book to explain the events of that weekend, but I can actually laugh about that weekend back in 2003 . . . . . . . . . now. One of these days I'll tell y'all about it.

Have I wanted to pick one up and light it in the past? I'd be lying to all y'all if I said I haven't had any urges, but even that's been several years now. The longer you go without, the easier it gets. Again, best of luck.

RR

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
.... Most of the time a pack of cigarettes would last for a couple of days. Being in the military certainly didn't help any. For a while I managed to cut down to only a couple a day, even managing to quit for several days or even weeks....
Same for me rr... was in the national guard here in MO and it's definately not easy quitting smoking hanging around those guys! I wasn't a heavy smoker either, just casual, I guess you coulud say,....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.