Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here, Thought I would show some of my work.
All my knives are made with A-2 or 0-1 tool steel
All sheaths are sewn by hand.
Mostly 18Th Century style, But a few with a modern touch also.
Here are a few pics of my latest
Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Very nice! I like the file work. It's good to meet a fellow knifemaker. Greetings from eastern Washington.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
those are awesome knives, cool work with those sheaths too. you knife builders are very talented!
How do you guys do the etchings/engravings on the blades?

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
x4 on that knife and thank you DVW, the whole knife making hobby is very interesting,
As i've said in past posts I have no artistic skills but I think I might even enjoy giving this a try at some point in the near future.
I think this may be a great way to start making custom Christmas gifts for next year
even if I screw them up at least the memories will stay with them for many many years after I'm gone. :coffee:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words fellas!
Bruce, There are numerous was to do the etching but I use acid, You put down a base on the blade to protect the steel and scratch what you want with a sharp object, The acid will eat the area where you scratched and removed the base coat.
Your imagination or artistic talant is the only limit.
That is how I made the deer track on this one.

Here is a view of the filework from the top.

Here is the one I made for my wife.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
That's no hunting knife she's carrying! :thumbup: Really nice work.
I enjoyed last weekend working in the garage on the knives. Took a bit of work stress away and giving my son a knife that maybe he'll appreciate and use long after I've checked out gives me a good feeling, not the checking out part though :bag: Having basic tools and an idea on what you want to end up with and knowing your skill level and expectations are very important in any project. Learned that at work seminars :yucky:. It's true though. If I can make something that looks decent anyone can, trust me on that one. Information shared here helped me in a big way to get started and was greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hey Lonehunter that knife with the deer track on it looks very familiar.lol. I for one can garrandamnt he makes some very very nice knives,the pics dont do them justice. And when you put them to a hide and start working you will know you have an awsome blade in your hands. I have 3 of his knives and waiting on a 4th. I have skinned and cleaned 2 deer with the same knife and have yet the need to sharpen it,will still shave hair. Yall need to check out his web site

·
Registered
215 Posts
A little outside the box for me.
I like it. I'm a fan though of full tang knives that don't need guards or bolsters. Makes them nice and light, but they still keep your fingers from slipping up onto the blade. The only drawback I have with them is that they can be a bit hard to maneuver in those tight spots since the blade is so wide. I really like how your knives are simple, clean and still very eye appealing. Makes me want to take one muzzle loading.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts