Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the brass pins in today and now just adding coats of tru-oil to the handle. I think I will make this one my hunting knife for now. Picture not real clear!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the nice comments guys, you are very talented and it shows in your work. For me, this gives me unwind time from the rotating 12 hr shift work. Your guide information has been invaluable, thanks to both of you!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is one of those English damascus blades with desert ironwood handles. Grain is outstanding. Still have finish work to go but I like the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here is one of those English damascus blades with desert ironwood handles. Grain is outstanding. Still have finish work to go but I like the look.
Desert Iron wood is really pretty. I have to be extra careful about breathing in the dust though. That and Cocobolo are the two that can really bother me. I see that you got a little more "artistic" with the shape of the wood as well. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wood has a distinct smell also. I don't know about artistic :crazy: but something different. I liked working with the ironwood.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
buffed and then polished. I think I will be using some more ironwood in the future as I enjoy nice wood. What do you think of the ironwood and damascus combination?

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
buffed and then polished. I think I will be using some more ironwood in the future as I enjoy nice wood. What do you think of the ironwood and damascus combination?
I think that the Iron wood and Damascus blend very well together. It's almost like they were made to match. For real eye-catching though, I find that using contrasting materials set things apart and make them stand out. I think that is one thing that makes wood so appealing, the natural contrasts in the grain. That is also why I like to use brass fittings instead of stainless or nickle. The brass contrasts with the color of the blade. I've mixed black micarta with white or red spacers or mosaic pins with red filler. A bone, antler or white micarta handle on a Damascus blade would look really cool.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope to advance to adding things to the handles. Here is the other damascus blade. I used some of the walnut on hand. I thought the stainless would better match the blade. Are you saying to color match more to the handle?? I have to order a few more blades now so I will take a rest and think out my next ones. I have more buffing to go but worked most of day on the little guy today.

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well first off, I think that yours look great as they are. Typically though I try to use contrasting colors unless someone asks for something specific. For instance with a Damascus blade I would use a light colored handle material like bone. With a stainless blade I like to use dark colored handles like Cocobolo or black micarta.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to try different handle material. I wanted to put some antler pieces in the last two handles but just haven't advanced to that point for fear of ruining the whole thing and starting over. I thought about a slice between the front and rear wood pieces?? As I said before I'm not very good at seeing something in my head and then making it. I have to just start shaping and see what happens. Anyway it is fun to play with knives. :w00t: probably wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase a book that shows varous knives just for ideas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.