Deer Hunting Forums banner

Ahhhh no deer

7K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  farmallHTA 
#1 ·
alright men heres the scoop i procured about 500 acresin trenton KY and i do not have time to scout it all (go Figure) so i did what i could and found what seems to be the most prominent deer routes and set up mineral licks and a little corn to try and keep them there but the only things i am getting on the trail cam is does and few of them i know there are big bucks there i have seen them less than 300 yds away and never spooked them i dont think they even saw us honestly how do i get them to come to us before season. and how do i get more deer in my herd besides the sit and wait years for them to reproduce. there is no shortage of food right know obviously do i have to wait till food goes scarce and then try to coax them in with food or what im so aggrivated i saw the one good sized bachelor group and cant get them on camera.....please help if you can:no::eek:wned::wallbash:

#2 · (Edited)
Take a deep breath you are in the right spot. First things first use Google maps, Yahoo maps, Live Search maps, etc... and get an over feel of the land with true compass barrings. Mark all water, dense thickets , oak trees, honey suckle and everything else such as GOOD rubs and old scrapes. At this time of year you need to get this done FAST (no more than a week of disturbance). Be sure to mark all good trails with compass direction of travel and any big buck tracks. Now is the fun part when you are done use your map and connect the dots. After identifying travel corridors, bedding areas, staging areas, etc... now you place cameras to help you with travel times. You have the does so the bucks will come. Do not worry about big bucks right now because come fall pattern all will change. Also locate any major food sources off your property like corn and soy beans. It is too easy to get side tracked without using this method. By using a map and connecting dots it will make your season one to remember as well as give you a better understanding as to the most important question of why the deer are on certain trails at certain times and not at other times. Early season water and protein are number 1#. You said you have no time? Make time!

#3 ·
like i said water and food are no issue there is a big stream that runs right through the property and by big i mean it aint gonna dry up any time soon. thanks for the info i gotta keep my buddy out of there for the next month or so he always wants to go check cameras and we gotta stay outta there from what i understand.

#5 ·
where barkers mill road and seay rd meet the north road that cuts a short east is the drive way the creek runs west to east in the tree line just north of that driveway the far north field (justnorth of the creek)is corn right nowjust south of the creek is alfalfa as well as the small funny shaped field on the west side the main movement corridors are around the finger tip of the funny shaped west field the tree line north west of the corn is where i usually see the groups of deer early evening time. i have stands around the finger tip where ive seen the most sign and movement. maybe this will give you a better idea of what i can do

#6 ·
What is the prevailing wind? Early season hunt afternoons in shaded inside southwest corners (wind allowed). What is that little secluded opening on the far east of map? Staging area maybe? Corn fields this size will be a problem early season. If I was to wing it I would choose inside southwest corners closest to water. Search immediate area for staging. Do not hunt mornings to start out (too risky). Search other mapping sites because they might have different photos with some showing deer travel routes across the crops (BIG help). I have to admit your property smells like big bucks.:thumbup:

#7 ·
TerraServer-USA

The link above is what I use.

I agree your land looks like it will hold big bucks. I wouldn't keep sending your buddy in the areas you want camera to go up in. This might put pressure on the deer and they might disappear for a long time. If they don't feel safe, they won't stay around.

My favorite spots are always near creeks. This provides a lot of info on traveling routes for deer. Creeks/Streams are great for pattering deer. Big bucks will use waterways for crossing. A lot of people say that the easier the path the more deer traffic you will find, I disagree. I have seen big bucks go out of their way and risk long ways to food source and bedding areas to keep them safe.

Once I hunted a area where it had three good fields. They were usually wheat, corn, and soybeans. This big buck that was 6 years or older was using a different route than all the other deer. He never would come in the same area twice, but close to the general area. I never killed this buck very smart, but did find his trails. Other hunters would have never seen these small trails because they wouldn't think he would be going out of his way to get to food or bedding. Anyone else would think he would travel the path with less resistance, but thats not always true.

When I scout I look for every detail, I look for small deer trails the most. Old bucks are the ones I want to kill and they are difficult cause they are not always going to show up where others go.

Good luck

#8 ·
I needed to add a little more, the reason for the inside SW corner is it will have the earliest shade in the afternoon. This has two benefits one being shade for cooler temps the other is that the sun is still shining on the fields creating a thermal sucking the air away from the woods out and up to the field. The deer move into these areas to feed earlier and still stay cool. If you choose one that has water and bedding close by it can be a awesome set up.:yes:

#9 ·
I will definitely check out that opening on the northeast i think it was i looked at the map again i think you may be right looks like a good ambush spot ill check it out friday when i reset cams then all we gotta do is wrangle up some stands and set them i got a lot of work to do and fast wish me luck...:thumbup: thanks men your the greatest if you see anything else let me know

#13 ·
You could try stalking the corn. I have had very good luck with this during gun season. I don't know if the corn will be up long enough for you to try that. Wait for a breezy day so the corn field is already noisy. Just walk across the field looking down every row for a bedded deer. If you see one, scope him out to see if it's a shooter. If he is, back off 3 or 4 rows, slowly move down to shooting range and then slowly move back over into it's row. Once you go across the field, move down as far as your sight distance was and then come back the other way. I only do it during gun season because usually during bow season the corn is still too green and the rows too clustered for shooting. But it's not hard to get within 15 yards of a bedded deer.

#15 ·
it can be a lot of wlking but around here the corn fields usually aren't all that big. If you do have a large field, don't stalk the whole thing, you'l be there all season. Concentrate on the 100 yards around the perimeter or along some structure if it's in farther such as a ditch or cluster of trees. Like anything, you will get better and learn as you get more experience. Snow is a great help. Not only does it help to see down the rows better, but you can circle the field first and check for fresh tracks. If you don't find any, then move on or go watch football.l

#17 ·
It depends on if you want to do it right and go slow and only on breezy days so the rustling of the corn covers your noise. All the deer I have seen have been laying down and if I decide I'm not going to shoot it, I back off. I have't been busted yet. I know I could have spooked a couple without knowing it, but everyone gets busted once in a while, regardless of how your hunting. Also, as I said, the corn fields I hunt are small, 25 acres or less, so I'm not putting in that many miles. With that said, it's not my primary way of hunting, just something I do sometimes in late season when the deer aren't moving during shooting hours. They really get hunted hard around here so sometimes you have to go get them instead of waiting for them to come to you.

G
#18 ·
there is a technique of slowly moving across the corn rows peeking in the next row looking for bedded deer but its got to be windy to create noise. don't think it would work well with a bow. the downside of doing this with a gun is what is the back stop? only tried it once put there isn't much corn here and way to much woods. kinda felt like i was putting my life in danger.

#19 ·
Using corn and minerals this time of year will not draw them in or hold any deer. What we use is somthing that is different and/or new to them that is not already available. Try somthing like the liquid ground attractants or deer cocaine we have had tremendous luck with products like these.

#20 ·
You have to make sure those type of products are legal to use in your area, products like deer'caine are illegal here in Vermont and many other states...

#21 ·
It has been brought to my attention that i ahve wrongfully accused my hunting partner of being the only one wanting to continueally check out the land we just got it was me also i dont want any hurt feeling so yes i also was the bonehead that was trouncing through the wood when i was telling others not to. My bad

#24 ·
Why is this "cowboy stuff ?" Most guys consider still hunting as just another way of hunting. Well, stalking a cornfield is the same thing, but your approach is totally hidden from the deer, unlike still hunting through open woods. You don't want to do it on a calm, dry day, but if it is breezy, the corn is already noizy so the deer are not alarmed by the noise that you make. Like anything, it takes practice, but it has been effective for me, and I am not good at tipical still hunting. When I can see through the woods, I always think it will be better over the next hill and I get moving too fast and then get busted.

#25 ·
Still hunting is a great way to hunt BUT your odds are much better with a bow hunting from a well placed tree stand. Walking up on a good buck in any conditions is more luck than anything else for the average hunter.

#27 ·
What I usually do is I pick all of the apples I can from my tree, which is usually one 5 gallon bucket. I dump a few apples around my stand. Then I go back the next day and dump the rest if they are eaten or chewed up. Then I find some stumps and dump Deer 'cane on them. Then lastly I go to the local feed store and buy molasses buck feed corn and dump that everywhere. Once this is done I set up my trail cam. So far the pictures I got where two four points, a six point, two spikes, and a non typical spike type thing. And I also here talk that there is a three legged non typical six point running around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.