Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use it?
Results?
Tips?
got a dripper for my B-day & just picked up some active ssape to fill it with

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have seen Ronn use it and yes it works. As a matter of fact the deer he shot while hunting with me RAN to a sliding stop right at it where Ronn proceeeded to poke a hole in him.:w00t:

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was it used over a Mock scape or a real one?

·
Registered
790 Posts
He made a mock scrape just up wind of a bedding area travel corridor (100 yards) about 20 yards off of the main travel route so to have room to place his stand quartering down wind. Very well played cards even though I had to find the deer for him.LOL Truth be told he was hunting on my property with me and told me about that stuff. I am a Maniac 150 fan and had not tried this product. He wanted to try it on my farm to see how it worked on my "southern soil". I told him the scenario layout and he laid the trap. I was impressed with the product as well as his use of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info "Never know which products actually work?"
I think sometimes how much we all spend on useless junk that we all get hooked on by ad's I probably would not have bought the active scape if I hadn't received the dripper as a gift
So we will try it & see

·
Registered
790 Posts
He did not use the dripper just poured it on the mock scrape. My use of scents allows me to be mobile. I don't like to leave scents in an area after I leave most times. It has to be a very special situation for me to do otherwise. I do not want to change deer patterns other than to steer or position them into a better shooting opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree I have always trusted & used Tinks products
I am just cautious about trying new products when it costs me for example $7 - $15 for a bottle of doe Pee
$15 - $20 for a grunt call that sounds more like a pig then a deer
been burnt before this is what I really like about these forums
you can get honest answers from people that have used them
not 100% what works in on part of the country may not work as well here but I am not buying on a whim
Thanks again WMI

·
Registered
790 Posts
It is too early for that stuff now you need the wait for the Oct equinox which is the 14th. Calls and scents can be used year around but your choice of these is far more important. It is better to use nothing than to use them incorrectly at the wrong time of the deer's seasonal cycle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use the Active Scrap in a scent dripper in Nov. I have not had any activity in NH but I did in Steubin County NY last year. I set up the dripper with a mock scrap where 5 does where going through every morning. Nothing on day 1 but day 2 I let my buddy use my tree stand. At the base of the ladder stand he got a shot at a 4 pointer but missed. The shot occurred within 8 ft of the dripper. The deer ran my way but I couldn't get off a shot because they were running in a ditch so I could only see from the neck up. What my hunting buddy didn't see was the 6 and 10 pointers behind the 4 pointer. This year I am hanging 2 drippers.

What if found unusual about this scenario is during the rut it's every buck for himself. There bachelor group is broken up and there sex crazy. I strongly believe this scent peaked the curiosity of all 3 bucks bringing them back together. The next day I got a shot at the 6 pointer but that's another threaded story I posted last year.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where about in Steubin
My uncle lives in prattsburg
We hunted in Naples 2 years ago it was the second week & 80* I got two smaller deer but we are heading back next year
& no I hadn't planned on using it now just getting info before the time comes

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I tend to use scent wicks up to 4 at a time, which can be moved easily. On ocassion I will make a mock scrape if I can't find real ones. I like to locate small pocket openings where your shot is 25 yds and you have background cover and two or more trails intersec. These are normally secluded feeding route trails and bucks like making scrapes there under pines and hemlocks. We find repeat scrape locations even though mr buck was taken, so I think these type of scrapes have more importance to them than simply finding new scrapes. Anyone else hunt over scrapes that are always in the same location?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Boy HM that is a big complicated subject. Keeping it brief this time of year community scrapes are always good. As for breeding scrapes not that much but more of the bedding areas associated with them and/or the funnel areas of travel corridors. I love seeing them but my success with mature bucks has been limited do to most are worked under the cover of darkness. I use them as more of a sign post that a buck is using the area at that time in conjunction with trail cams to help gauge time of travel in hopes of pinpointing his bedding location.:confused::unsure:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
wmi, wish I had that cam action to help out. The only advantage I have is in hunting the same area 34 years. When I only have 1-1/2 weeks to bow hunt it, I need to be quick on finding a nice buck. I key in on scrape & rub lines in those small pocket areas where the bucks may show up in hunting hours. Tying in natural funnels,feeding trails, and buck travel routes is about all I can use at this time. PA hunting camp is 5 hours drive, too far(cost) to utalize cams for my use. They may be good to use as soon as I get my stand up (if legal during season in PA) to see what grade buck I'm on prior to actually seeing him.:shocking:

G

·
I didn't see where WMI mentioned we were on a scrape line and we were. What he said is the way it happened. with that said I think they, scents, will all work when that deer is interested in the smell and if its isn't interested, scents won't work. Sounds simple but I think its true of all scents.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice country out there
untill we hunted Hi - Tor I think that was rougher then where I hunt here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts