Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a new t/c omega with an a/p camo stock and the new weathershield barrel. Can not wait to get to the range, come on spring! I have a red dot I may put on but not sure about that yet want to shoot thru the open sights first.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had a red dot on my shotgun and pulled it off. For me its a challenge as you need to keep that red dot centered to shoot true. For me it's hard to do without reticles. I have more confidence in my Omega than my shotgun which is not unusual these days with the inline technology available.

Alot of forum talk feedback on a good load for the Omega is 100-110 grains of T7 with the 250gr SW bullet. I am also hearing that BH209 with the Barnes TMZ 250gr is a popular combo for the Omega. Barnes makes a solid copper bullet that penetrates and expands like a bonded bullet. You will pay for them (about $1/bullet.) Alot of guys for economic reasons punch paper with a cheaper bullet and hunt with the Barnes TMZ or TEZ.

I have a friend that has a TC Prohunter and he shoots this Barnes TMZ/BH209 combo. He is holding .5" groups at 100 yards. This is amazing accuracy. With my Omega I am getting just over 1" groups using 2-T7 pellets with the 250gr SW. I am on a quest to break 1 MOA so I am going to convert to T7 powder and try 100gr-110gr-120gr charges. Using powder yields better accuracy than pellets so I expect improvement. If not then I will try the Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot as a substitute then move on to the Barnes/BH209 combo if needed. Stay tuned for range results when the weather warms up a bit.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
my 50 T/C firehawk using old TC maxi-hunters with 100 grs of 3f black powder topped wih a 3X9X40 Tasco will group 1" at 100 yds. This is old stuff compared to what's available now. A musket cap provides the fire.:unsure: Sometimes what's behind the trigger makes more of an impact on accuracy than what's being pushed down the barrel. Every rifle will tell you what load/bullet combination shoots best, you just need to find it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts