Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished my hunter safety class and am hoping to start deer hunting this fall. Never hunted before. I'm looking for a rifle, and am looking for suggestions. The thing is, though, that I don't really like the way a civilian rifle feels in my hands. I'm much more comfortable with an AR style rifle, so I was thinking about getting either an AR-10 or AR-15. Which are 7.62mm/.308 or 5.5mm/.223. Just wondering what you all have to say about it. I'll be hunting mainly white tail in Missouri, which means closer shots due to it being woodland, and maybe also using the same gun for boar.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Welcome wilson, glad to have you on the site. As ronn said, check your state laws and regulations. As for the AR style firearm I cannot think of any options that can keep you geared toward the military style that you are looking for. The .223 round may also be a little on the light side when hunting deer. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
790 Posts
My suggestion is to get use to a civilian rifle. When it comes to guns and hunting, guns are tools. Use the right tool for the job. We are hunters. It is our job to hunt game ethically and respectfully. I my opinion playing Rambo has no place in the sport of hunting wild game. There are many styles of stocks so your lack of comfort and feel with a civilian rifle has no validation. :thumbdown:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
My suggestion is to get use to a civilian rifle. When it comes to guns and hunting, guns are tools. Use the right tool for the job. We are hunters. It is our job to hunt game ethically and respectfully. I my opinion playing Rambo has no place in the sport of hunting wild game. There are many styles of stocks so your lack of comfort and feel with a civilian rifle has no validation. :thumbdown:
I agree with wmi, if you can find comfort in a tactical weapon you can surely find MORE comfort with a more traditional hunting rifle.
The last thing you need to be doing is letting the general public see you hunting for wildlife with a tactical style weapon,
While your intentions may be good, it isn't your intentions they will be seeing. Good Luck to you...

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Guys I couldn't agree more with all the comments. When i think of the assult style rifles in the hunting field I think of the murder that took place I believe in (Minnisota or Wisconsin) a couple of years back. The last time I checked those style of firearms were very expensive. I think one could for the same cost, could have a very nice hunting package put together. No question a scoped 308 would be a great rifle but as stated is the public perception worth it. I have no problem with the legal ownership of military type firearms, but are they the best choise for the hunter, I say there are better options.

·
Registered
517 Posts
my suggestion is to get use to a civilian rifle. When it comes to guns and hunting, guns are tools. Use the right tool for the job. We are hunters. It is our job to hunt game ethically and respectfully. I my opinion playing rambo has no place in the sport of hunting wild game. There are many styles of stocks so your lack of comfort and feel with a civilian rifle has no validation. :thumbdown:
i also totally agree with wmi!!!

R

·
0 Posts
must be 2 full moons this month. no descentors, got to be the right view?!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I also agree with wmi. a 223. is light but it can get the job done when it comes to deer. i really dont like a 223 because I am in the middle of hunter education and theres a chart in the book thats say a 223 can shoot over 2 miles..... not very safe....especialy with a new hunter because of stray bullets...who knows where they could end up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In my opinion i think all you could use a 223 for is varmit hunting, you might could get away deer huntin with a perfectly placed shot. Obviously most inexperienced hunters are not going to make a perfect shot. If you ask for permission to hunt somewhere there more than likely to ask what your hunting with and when you say a military sniper rifle. They are almost always say NO. you barely stand a chance of gettin anywhere to hunt. As for boar you do not stand a chance of ethically killing an animal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also new to the forum and can agree with everyone. Tactical guns are not even intended for the purpose of hunting. Not to say that they are not enjoyable to shoot groups with at long range, but a common high powered rifle is the best choice in my opinion. Hunting is about being ethical and not personal image.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im in iraq right now so i get what you're saying about civilian rifles not feeling right. Have you looked at a mini 30 ranch rifle? They come if 5.56 7.62x39 or 6.8 rem. spc. If its the pistol grip and front rail you're looking for these have hundred of different stocks and rails that can be added. SCAR is even making kits for them with adjustable stocks and changable grips just like an M4.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There are certainly a lot of choices in the size and shape of stocks out there in wood and synthetic.Why use a rifle that genarally scares the heck out of most. You can thank tv and the movies for this. Go to your local gun shop and try some classic styles out?:biggrin:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Guys I couldn't agree more with all the comments. When i think of the assult style rifles in the hunting field I think of the murder that took place I believe in (Minnisota or Wisconsin) a couple of years back. The last time I checked those style of firearms were very expensive. I think one could for the same cost, could have a very nice hunting package put together. No question a scoped 308 would be a great rifle but as stated is the public perception worth it. I have no problem with the legal ownership of military type firearms, but are they the best choise for the hunter, I say there are better options.
That was Wisconsin and not an assault rifle. The gun used was a Saiga Sa rifle which has an action like an AK type but has a hunting stock and a 5 round magazine and looked like a civilian rifle. I hunt with all types of rifles including an AR. If legal in your state they are great as they handle well, are accurate and low recoil, nut do lack killing power. You need great shot placement.
But unless you are a very good marksman, I suggest you use a larger caliber weapon. In my opinion a tactical weapon makes a good hunting rifle for ther same reasons it makes a good tactical weapon. Don't take the opinion of gun snobs too seriously.
It depends on what type of hunting you do, the range you expect to shoot at, and the terrain as well. AK's, SKS's (7.62 mm x 39) are probably not useful over 100 yards if that. The .223 Remington runs out of steam at about that range but is much flatter shooting. Your can get an AR style rifle in .243 or larger now. .308 is a great deer round.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A few days ago, I shot a 240 lb, 14 point buck using a ar 15 with 55 gr psp ammo. One shot to lungs the dropped him after he ran about 40 yards.
Both lungs were mush and the leg on the other side was broken.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
A few days ago, I shot a 240 lb, 14 point buck using a ar 15 with 55 gr psp ammo. One shot to lungs the dropped him after he ran about 40 yards.
Both lungs were mush and the leg on the other side was broken.

CAUTION= wear boots before proeceeding further.

a few weeks ago I shot a Booner buck that scored 245 with a water pistol.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts