Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sold on the PSE axe 6 a few months ago. a phenomenal bow in all respects. I just could not decide on tree stand camo or black satin.

I finally decided on both. I told the store owner to order one of each in 70# flavor.

Now, I think I am done buying bows for a while.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
haha! sweet man! i'm envious! wish my wife would understand that i would "like" a new bow! Good luck with them!

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Sounds like you should be set on bows for awhile. What stinks is in 3 years you will think your bow is outdated and want to buy another one. :lol:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bummer

Got a call from pro shop today. He said PSE is not shipping 2010s any longer. only thing available in the future would be 2011s.

Just for G&G's. I called another shop, they were out of Axe 6s, but they said they could still order the bows.

I went on to PSE-archery.com and added a bow to my cart and started the check out process. no indication that they would not process the order and ship the bow, even came up.

Not liking what I am thinking. deer season comes and the bows get scarce. something is wrong with that logic.

Looked at the new dream season EVO bow for 2011 (the new catalog is out).
Guess I will hold off till the deer / turkey show in Madison, WI this winter.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The black axe

Availability being what it is, I settled for a black axe 6 in 60#.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
picked up the Axe 6 last Saturday. did a most basic setup to get it shooting and sighted in for 20yds with field points. I probably wont get it out in the field during the next 3 weeks as I know what my primary bow is capable of and how its sighted in. and I still have a lot of shooting to do under different conditions before I will feel comfortable hunting with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not liking what I am thinking. deer season comes and the bows get scarce. something is wrong with that logic.

I find it kind of scary too that people would buy a bow so close to archery deer season; it takes practice to be 100% confident that you are going to be able to take an ethical shot.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've bought bows mid-season, and dialed them in with a short practice session. Confidence comes with knowing YOUR abilities. The equipment can change and you can still be successful.
I start off at 20 yards and sling a few arrows. Check the results. Adjust the sites accordingly and repeat. After I'm dialed in at 20,and getting consistent groups, I'll step back to 30 yards and repeat the process.
If I'm using a multi-pin site, I'll leave the 20 yard pin in place and adjust the next one, till it's on at 30 yards. Repeat for the 40 yard pin.
Once I feel good with the accuracy, I swap out the feild points for my practice broadheads and repeat the whole process..20 yards, 30 yards, 40 yards, and make any small adjustments as I go.

Know your equipment. Be comfortable in your abilities.

Why did I change bows? One time was when my bow got ripped off.:crybaby:
And the other time was when my buddy left for a new job in Florida, and sold all his gear and I got a great deal on a better bow.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Good post. I just got my pins finally set last week after moving them from 5yd increments to 10 yd. I wouldn't try to purchase a new bow and hunt that afternoon, but with a couple of days to lock everything in I can't see a problem. As long as the bow is set up for you then the sights are the only thing to finish up.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I learned an expensive lesson last year on using equipment that you are not totally familiar with and it cost me a NICE buck at 10 yds. and that was only a strap on release.

I haven't made any plans to hunt with the AXE 6 this season, I have my tree stand GX dialed in to 50 yds and cant see why I should chance using the newer bow when I am confident with another. just not worth chancing a bad shot on a deer.
don't get me wrong, with the AXE I am grouping tight out to 20 yds and it would not take long to move that out to 40 yds and a quick change to broad heads.

I guess I would just like to take a couple deer with my short ata bow first.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked out the deer and turkey show in Madison. I shot all the Xforces I could Including the new EVO and Wow, was I impressed. I will be getting the new EVO before this years deer season starts. My youngest daughter asked if I would teach her to shoot. Her draw length is too short to even consider one of my bows turned out. So I will have to get a new one for teaching youth and short draw length adults. Pretty much decided to go with a new chaos FC in black. looks like another multi bow year developing here.

I should buy some PSE stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts