Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the local gunshop this week and in the case was an 80 series .45 acp. shot very little as is indicated by scratches or lack of on the clip and the slide to frame contact areas. really a nice 45 from the "80"s.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
no, Colt government 45.
Not the 1911s sold under that designation. though the government 45s were modeled after the original 1911s.
And yes, they are sweet. I had one in the early 80s I had it really tricked out. it never jammed no matter what I fed it. and I fed it everything I could just to prove that point.

·
Registered
820 Posts
no, Colt government 45.
Not the 1911s sold under that designation. though the government 45s were modeled after the original 1911s.
And yes, they are sweet. I had one in the early 80s I had it really tricked out. it never jammed no matter what I fed it. and I fed it everything I could just to prove that point.
The "Government" is just the size of the 1911. There are several different sizes.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
correct,

Colt during that time made the government and the combat comander.
But there is also a 1911 being made by springfield armory.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Have you heard that Remington got into the handgun business now? They're making an original 1911 look alike with a few "improvements". Taurus and Kimber as well as a few other manufacturers make 1911's.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know there are several companies that make 45's. springfield make the closest thing I have seen to the original colts(which I am partial to).

what are the improvements Remington has added?

·
Registered
820 Posts
what are the improvements Remington has added?
I copied this from another website -

"flared and lowered ejection port; beveled magazine well; loaded chamber indicator; high profile dovetailed single-dot front and two-dot rear sights; a crisp 3.5 – 5 pound trigger pull; and a match grade stainless steel barrel and barrel bushing."

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds impressive. and those are improvements too.
I prefer millet sites though, red ramp and white outline. I dont need a loaded chamber indicator, its always loaded even when not. one thing they forgot was the commander style hammer.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My "government" .45 was manufactured by Remington-Rand back in the early '40's. Still shoots any/everything put in it, although I don't shoot it very much any more. It's still loaded in the house though for home defense. Can't find much that can match 230 grains of stopping power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts